How to properly carbonate a Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hi, can someone please help me. I need simple directions in how to charge a corny keg using a co2. I have put about 3 rounds of 30psi "doses" into the keg and shock it around and let it sit for about 2 days. What next? Thanks!

Purge the Co2 out. Then set to ur serving pressure between 8 and 12psi. Then let it sit for a few hours then pull the tap.
I found that helps reduce the foam when it is over-carbed. Which it sounds like it could be.

Did you carb when cold? If not 30 psi at room temp will not be close to carbed much less over . If cold below 50* yes bleed of set regulator to 6psi if not enough bring up slowly til you get what you are looking for. Or set to 12psi leave cold for 2 weeks and tap .....set it and forget it always a good thing.......my .02

If the temperature you force carbed at is in the mid 30's, vent and reset pressure to serving pressure and in a day it will be ready.

Not to hijack the thread, but I just started kegging myself, and i read the kegging thread located here and here seem to indicate that when keg carbing, you should set it to 30 psi or so for 2 to three days, purge the tank, and then drop to serving pressure and the beer can be ready inside of 4 days.

My understanding, is that if you are going to force carb, you should still set it to 30 psi, and every few hours roll the keg, shake, etc... to fill the headspace with more co2 to carb with, eventually causing the beer to absorb enough co2 to carb it. I am hoping that I am understanding this properly, since I have 2 kegs currently being force carbed this way with the intentions of serving them this weekend. I do realize that there is a slight risk of over carbing, but I think that as long as i monitor the situation, dropping the psi as needed I should be able to be good to go for Saturday....Am I wrong?

Not to hijack the thread, but I just started kegging myself, and i read the kegging thread located here and here seem to indicate that when keg carbing, you should set it to 30 psi or so for 2 to three days, purge the tank, and then drop to serving pressure and the beer can be ready inside of 4 days.

My understanding, is that if you are going to force carb, you should still set it to 30 psi, and every few hours roll the keg, shake, etc... to fill the headspace with more co2 to carb with, eventually causing the beer to absorb enough co2 to carb it. I am hoping that I am understanding this properly, since I have 2 kegs currently being force carbed this way with the intentions of serving them this weekend. I do realize that there is a slight risk of over carbing, but I think that as long as i monitor the situation, dropping the psi as needed I should be able to be good to go for Saturday....Am I wrong?

There is absolutley no need to roll or shake your keg. As long as your beer is in the mid to low 30's then set it at 30psi for 2 days, vent, set at serv pressure for 2 days.(and you don't have to be perfect) You may have to adjust up or down for your personal carbonation prefrence but you will be pretty damn close with the method described.

There is absolutley no need to roll or shake your keg. As long as your beer is in the mid to low 30's then set it at 30psi for 2 days, vent, set at serv pressure for 2 days.(and you don't have to be perfect)

+1, however I've found that if I drop from 30PSI down to serving pressure, the beer is properly carbed immediately. You only need to set it to serving pressure for 2 days if you totally degass the keg as you're dropping down from 30.

What I do is turn the valve to off on my regulator, then vent down a little, then turn down the regulator, then re-connect it. If gas flows into the keg, I'll know the keg was a little beneath whatever new pressure the reg is set to. I'll rinse and repeat this step until I'm down to 12-14PSI. The beer is ready to be served immediately.

Summary: No rolling, 30PSI for 36-40 hours, bleed down to 12-14, drink immediately if needed.

I've had great luck dropping the keg in the keezer right after racking, set it to 30psi for 48 hours, purge head space and set to serving pressure. In about 4 days its ready to go.

There is absolutley no need to roll or shake your keg. As long as your beer is in the mid to low 30's then set it at 30psi for 2 days, vent, set at serv pressure for 2 days.(and you don't have to be perfect) You may have to adjust up or down for your personal carbonation prefrence but you will be pretty damn close with the method described.

+5.000 I use this method too. The beer must be well chilled for optimum results. Two days at 30 psi then sample and if good to go, I dial it down to 12 psi for serving. Typically, the beer will be carbed just right or it will be in the next 24 hours at the 12 psi.

I also heartily agree that you need no be perfect. This method will get you very close and it's very easy to adjust from there. I always sneak up on it as I close in on the target to avoid an over carbed situation. I only use the shake and bake method if I'm in a rush for whatever reason. I prefer to avoid it when possible, but it does work in a pinch.

Would this method possibly work (never kegged). I transfer beer into the keg, purge oxygen, and seal lid with co2 then let then the keg cool over night in the fridge. Then the next day turn on gas at 10-12 PSI, let sit 5-7 days, then try.

I have a kegerator where I can cool the keg so 30 psi seems like alot, unless the goal is hit the CO2 hard earlier, release excess, and then pump in the normal 10 psi per charts.

My newest method works really good and fast for me..

-12 hours at 40lbs
-purge, drop to 30lbs for 12 hours
-purge, drop to 20lbs for 12 hours
-purge, drop to serving pressure and drink immediately.

I'm usually able to start drinking as soon as the end of the 2nd day if I want.

i set mine to around 40psi for 24 hours, no more!!!!

release pressure, reset Co2 to 10-12 psi and serve. works almost every time, and when it doesnt, let it sit at the 10-12 psi for another 2-3 days, drink and enjoy.

I'm sure this will catch flak but I chill my kegs overnight (at least 12 hours). Set CO2 at 20psi and shake for 5 minutes. Reset pressure to 10 psi and serve. If it is too carbed, I shut off the gas and open the tap for a pint or so. I repeat as needed. Simple and easy and has worked consistently for me. YMMV.

I'm sure this will catch flak but I chill my kegs overnight (at least 12 hours). Set CO2 at 20psi and shake for 5 minutes. Reset pressure to 10 psi and serve. If it is too carbed, I shut off the gas and open the tap for a pint or so. I repeat as needed. Simple and easy and has worked consistently for me. YMMV.

I've heard that doing this can scrub out aroma in an IPA or hop heavy beer. I've never tried it since my method works fast enough for my needs. Plus, I have a lot of beer, so I don't really need to be in any hurry.

I have done this for my hoppy pale ale that get's raves from my hop head friends. My BIPA and IPA also come out well. I am not sure what the science behind aroma dimishing would be.

I don't brew enough to keep up with demand so I usually go from boil to glass as quick as I can.

I purge at 30 psi and leave them at room temp when I have room keg goes in no gas till it acclimates to temp then 10 psi till

image-2624684725.jpg

something kicks and it gets moved into rotation

image-1859531391.jpg

Guess I can afford to wait

Back