Is there something up with my bottle-trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklordenron

Reaction score
It's been over 6 weeks and 3 days in the bottle total, 3 or 4 days worth of that refrigerating time for this beer now. It tasted pretty darn good about two weeks ago and I finally got around to putting one in the fridge. I just looked at it and there's this weird orange trub that's clumpy on the bottom of the bottle. Never came across this, then again, never brewed up a fruit beer and/or let it sit this long either.

It's a Blueberry Lager made from a Mr.Beer kit. Added 1 can of Oregon Blueberries (liquified beyond belief) to the wort. Did a 2 week fermentation, dryhopped the last 5 or 7 days with 1/4oz of cascade pellets and bottled. It's been sitting at 62 degrees for 6 weeks and 4 days. I've drank all but 6 of the bottles, but the trub wasn't like this before. Is there an issue?
Pics for Cliks:

IMG_0566.jpg

It looks like zested orange rind! I've never seen anything like that before, but it can't possibly be harmful if you were sanitary in the process.

How's it taste?

Funny you should say that. I brewed up an oktoberfest beer with some orange peel and that one looks completely fine. Weather it will turn into that is another story for another day likely in around 6 weeks lol. I don't really know how it tastes, I suppose I'll find out tonight!
What's weird is that it doesn't seem to be affected by lagering. It's simply not dropping out and coagulating on the bottom as I would have expected. Any slight twist or moving of the bottle will bump it back into suspension.

Will definitely report back to help others that may experience this in the future..

Interesting. I've dry hopped other batches and never gotten this. Does the trub tend to "plump up" after being aged that long in the bottle? There was SOME but not much residue from the hops when bottling. I assume that if I were to secondary, this wouldn't be as much as has accumulated this time.

If I've got a lot of trash in the primary I may break down and transfer to a secondary. But if it's kegged I'll just let it settle so it can get sucked out with the first couple pints.

I always label the bottles that are last in the chain so that I can tell if there will be more/less yeast in various ones. This one wasn't one of them.. tonight will tell how it fares. I assume the blueberry taste will be vastly diminished by now since it was getting more and more pushed back the longer it aged. Should've used more fruit..

Glad you think so as well. Now the odds are in my favor. Just hope this beer turns out to be better than last time. My SWMBO keeps complaining about headaches from my beers. This is one of the beers that is a culprit. Hope that the aceteldehyde is gone this time around, otherwise I'll be hearing it for another few weeks from her! :)

Sorry I haven't had the time to try one yet, life got the better of me the last few days. I will report back on tuesday when I have some time to try one though.

Darklordenron said:
Glad you think so as well. Now the odds are in my favor. Just hope this beer turns out to be better than last time. My SWMBO keeps complaining about headaches from my beers. This is one of the beers that is a culprit. Hope that the aceteldehyde is gone this time around, otherwise I'll be hearing it for another few weeks from her! :)

What are your ferm temps?

What are your ferm temps?

I was at around 66 the entire time. (now i do 62 for 3 weeks) That was a while back now! Waiting 6 weeks for a baseline on a beer really sucks. I think that's pushing the envelope a bit. I have drinkable beer in 3, great beer in 4 and then it seemed to just stay the same, great beer. There's definitely a point where it just stays the same IME.

This is the first time I've actually been able to wait 6 weeks and still have beer left. God bless the pipeline.

Tastes great. It turned out fine. I still want a microscope or something to figure out what that issue was, but i can tell you it was safe. Should've simply relaxed and had a homebrew. Finishing up the rest of the bottles this week.

Latest posts

Back