looking for clone recipes of Ukrainian beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yabo72

Reaction score
I have a friend coming in from the Ukraine and would like to treat him to a predominant Ukrainian style beer. I'm not to familiar with Ukranian beers but I know he likes a witbier style and have found a beer called Obolon Bile. (nice name huh?) I can brew a standard witbier but would like to know what kind of spices or hops you would find to make it more of a "Ukranian beer". I would like to do a 10 gallon all grain batch. Any ideas or help? Much appreciated it!

Well, the Ukraine isn't exactly known for making any contribution to beer. Heck, even Obolon didn't exist until 1980. Bile is just a Belgian Witbier made in the Ukraine. They have their own little spin on it, but it certainly isn't "Ukrainian Beer." So, I would try to find out what makes Obolon Bile unique. Most likely it is just the water. So, I guess one stab at it would be to assume that Obolon doesn't treat their water. Then when you brew, add the salts to try to match your water to Kiev's water supply.

Where do you get your uranium salts?

I'm not sure what you mean by "uranium." But if you were asking about where to get your brewing salts, you can get them at most any LHBS or OHBS. The tougher thing would be to get a water report for Kiev.

EDIT: To the OP, I did hear that Obolon uses lager yeast to brew Bile. I don't know if its true or not, but some research would probably give you a better idea.

then just name it 'three mile island lager'.

i've only had two ukranian beers, and they were basically bud that didn't let you read the label.

how about haveing some great AMERICAN beers around to give him something new, and if he's homesick, pull out the pickled herring, vodka, and bread with salt (not kidding).

Chernobyl. Good one. Oh, and it's not "the" Ukraine. Just "Ukraine". It's a country not a region.

Has any one ever had a Ukie beer that wasn't skunked? Must be better than Bud.

seriously, they were lagers, just like bud. just that the label said "@#*&)$" but in Cyrillic.

p.s. ray charles never REALLY sang about Georgia, did he? :)

mnohaia lita.

Chernobyl was in the Ukraine. Uranium salts are radioactive. But I don't know, maybe I'm reading into it.

I suppose. I thought that too. But I still don't get why it would be funny. I suppose if I had a few too many homebrews in me, then maybe. :drunk: Its all good. :mug:

I have been to the Ukraine and I actually like Bile (pronounced bee-lay). It is an unfiltered wheat beer, but if I recall it didn't have as much of the hefe yeast taste but its been five years. The other major beer I drank there was Chernigivske which was your standard lager, but it had a bit of the Pilsner Urquell taste to it in my opinion.

Get him to bring you some honey pepper vodka! It is the drink of Ukraine, and an interesting drink to say the least.

Also, you could make some kvass. It's mostly non-alcoholic there now, but there is a recipe in Mosher's Radical Brewing for one that is around 5%. It could be a nice treat to make the "old" style of it for him.

As for me personally, it was the one Ukrainian food/drink I didn't like.

I have been to the Ukraine and I actually like Bile (pronounced bee-lay). It is an unfiltered wheat beer, but if I recall it didn't have as much of the hefe yeast taste but its been five years. The other major beer I drank there was Chernigivske which was your standard lager, but it had a bit of the Pilsner Urquell taste to it in my opinion.

Get him to bring you some honey pepper vodka! It is the drink of Ukraine, and an interesting drink to say the least.

If you really want your friend to bring you something very Ukranian than it would have to be salo.

salo-1.jpg

I have a friend coming in from the Ukraine and would like to treat him to a predominant Ukrainian style beer. I'm not to familiar with Ukranian beers but I know he likes a witbier style and have found a beer called Obolon Bile. (nice name huh?) I can brew a standard witbier but would like to know what kind of spices or hops you would find to make it more of a "Ukranian beer". I would like to do a 10 gallon all grain batch. Any ideas or help? Much appreciated it!
My wife and I served in the Peace Corps in Ukraine 2018-2020 (most of the time was spent in the district/raion of Ingulets, city/micto of Kryvyi Rih, state/oblast of Dnipropetroska). They have a wide variety of beers dating back 100s of years. Some taste more like mead than beer but there are a few that are Lagers and ales that kick butt. The main difference are hops taste and where the water is taken from. I will look for some of the recipes but the one person I will ask is currently hiding in his basement so it may take a few days providing he still has internet. He actually calls the beer he brews Українське пиво - pronounced oo (as in boo) kri (long I sound) ins keh pivo just means (Ukrainian Beer). There is a Україна пиво on the mass market in country.

Here you go.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ukrainian-brewery-shares-all-brew-for-ukraine.699317/

Back