How to Roast a Whole Pig (Version 2.0)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I will admit to missing the last few pig roasts due to family matters I know that the guys up here make first class BBQ...

Anyone up for a BBQ Competition?

I like how when it came time to lift the pig you had 10 people trying to suggest methods of making it easier (also known and throwing a kludge in your well laid plans).
I too liked this! I got annoyed for you :) "Wow thanks everyone, I built this giant thing and have done this multiple times, but no, really, you're seeing it for the first time, you probably know better" :mug:

south shore brew club? I live in the south shore. Any chance of new club member openings?lol

Our club is getting pretty big, but I think we can shoehorn another member in. We meet on the second Tuesday of the month, so go check out the web site for location and directions.

And don't listen to PTN, he's just crabby because nobody likes him.:drunk:

Jeff will get back to you pretty quick. He's good with that stuff.

(PTN and Homebeer... it's the OTHER Jeff)

Pig Roast is a lotta fun and as i've said a bunch of times, personally, I really like the "pit method". I think the meat comes out fantastic and, once you have the pit built, roasting a pig is incredibly easy. I don't ever want to stay up all night feeding wood or charcoal/coals into a contraption. I would rather go this route and have plenty of energy to enjoy the actual cookout.

I'll have to start considering a small number of non-club member invites for this year.... as long as this thing doesn't start getting TOO big.

I'll have to start considering a small number of non-club member invites for this year.... as long as this thing doesn't start getting TOO big.
I'd almost consider becoming a Pats fan...

...but nah.

What is a good ratio of whole pig weight to number of people fed? With leftovers, seems a shame to do this and not have lots of leftovers.

What is a good ratio of whole pig weight to number of people fed? With leftovers, seems a shame to do this and not have lots of leftovers.

Well... this past year (which is not the video on this thread), I roasted a 240 lb pig and we had a solid 125 or so people. And there was freakin' NOTHIN left. I didn't even have a ziplock sandwich bag of meat left. Pig comes out of the ground about 3:00ish and it goes pretty quick... but then, once the day goes on and beers flow, Round Two and Round Three ends up coming around as the night goes on and if there's anything left after the initial chow-down, it completely goes before the last person falls down.

And that seems to be how it goes every year.

I think if you do about 2 lbs per person, you might have a little left over.

This year, we also went through something like 40 hamburgers, 36 hot dogs, something like 10 lbs of sausage... a ton of sides, etc.

Damn... I hang out with fat people.

As far as the pounds per person ration goes... the bigger the pig the more edible meat per gross pound but once you get over 100 #'s figure 1 1/2 to 2 pounds per person. If you have a bunch of rookies figure on the light side, if youhave people who have been to a few pigroasts before figure on the higher end. Pigroast rookies tend to be a little apprehensive at first and eat more sides. Repeaters know who the star of the show really is and eat accordingly.

PTN

How's the pig skin turn out with this "pit" method of cooking? Does it turn really crispy and caramelized, or not so much?

Ummm... varied. Parts of the skin (usually the parts that are facing the heat) get nice and caramelized and crispy. That IS one of the negatives of this method though. You don't get anywhere near the amount of skin to munch on as you would other methods. I admit it's a trade-off and it's one I'm willing make to get the meat to come out the way it does and have it be as little work as it is.

Back