1.020-1.018 curse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonladymae

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have just brewed my second batch of beer ever and have yet again ended with SG/FG of 1.020. I have read this is a common problem/occurence with new brewers, people have told me I can add honey to the wort etc to raise the alcohol level but I don't think I should have to do that. I have used recipes with grain and LME each time. Each recipe was a pale ale with an OG around 1.045 and ending at 1.020 each time. I want a Pale ale with at least 5% ABV. How can I change this occurence? It's kind of frustrating, I am new to this, but I can't find much info on it so far. Any help and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :confused:

That's not very good attenuation. Without knowing the recipe, your process, etc., it's tough to say where the problem is. I'd begin with either a bigger yeast starter or letting it ferment longer, or both.

Temperature control - first thing that came to my mind. What is the average where your fermenter sits? You may need to get it into a warmer location and get those yeast going.

Your LME may be old, which can decrease its fermentability. Is dry extract an option for you? Try switching to DME and brewing the same recipe as you did with the LME (including yeast) and see where you end up.

I will post the recipe later, but I have had it in the primary for just over 2 weeks now and for at least 3 days it has stayed at about the 1.020 stage. The temp stays from 65-70. The recipe off the top of my head is the malt/grain (can't remember how much) and around 7lbs LME and Perle and Cascade hops. I just added 1oz cascade to dry hop for the remaining week. The yeast was the white labs liquid yeast, can't remember which kind off the top of my head. I will look into the DME for the next time around and see where I end up then.

Did you make a yeast starter? If not, 1 liquid yeast packet is about half of what you want. Underpitching may be a factor.

Back