Stainless coil chiller fittings? what to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rackerman

Reaction score
Hi, I have two coils of 50' of stainless 3/8 headed my way. They come with no fittings on the ends. What should I use to connect to my taps/kegs? I've seen the swagelok fittings but there are many variations so I'm not ready to pull the trigger on $30 of incorrect fittings. Any suggestions?

Thanks

This is what I'm talking about... I effffed up and should have bought these with the fittings already installed.

1HBS_Jockey_coil.jpg

Not an expert (far from it) but am planning my build and have been spending a lot of time looking at others equipment.

I like jcdillin's setup, using these : http://www.mcmaster.com/#8239k26/=47aekp

Found in this post (see #11 for part list wtih active links).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-weldless-electric-herms-build-102464/

This is a fairly inexpensive weldless system.

Where did you get the coils if I may ask?

CRAP, I was thinking HERMS heat exchang coil inside a HLT.

What are you trying to connect to specifically? Some of the people here have a near encyclopedic knowledge of the mcmaster-carr catalog and can steer you the right way.

Sorry not to be of much help

jason

I think I'm going to go with the Micromatic grommit, ferrules and hex nuts. Seems to be a solid (and the most inexpensive) solution.

BTW - sweet set up there Jason.

I bought the coils on Ebay for $80 each no bargain considering I'm paying $30 to ship them (total). Think I would have saved a little cash had I more patience and remembered the $7.99 shipping from various online homebrew stores...

thanks again,
ryan

Is there a good reason to use SS instead of copper for a chiller? Copper is about 10X better at conducting heat than stainless...just wondering

I'm sure someone who understands a bit better can comment on this; basically, copper reacts with the carbonation in the beer. Supposedly, the copper will leach carcinogens into the beer. Not good for the life-long beer drinker... or so the magical internet tells me.

I'd try Home Desperate or Lowes and pick up some compression fittings and the adapters you need. Quick and easy

Back