addiction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronbeer

Reaction score
so is there an addiction for home brewing? If so, I have it. I am still waiting on my first brew to finish "aging" in the bottle, and I already have 5 gal in the carboy, a hefe coming in the mail, and cider supplies and a braggot coming in the mail. I am also on this website every day. Keging is my next venture! :rockin:

so is there an addiction for home brewing? If so, I have it. I am still waiting on my first brew to finish "aging" in the bottle, and I already have 5 gal in the carboy, a hefe coming in the mail, and cider supplies and a braggot coming in the mail. I am also on this website every day. Keging is my next venture! :rockin:
Addiction implies that it is a bad thing.

To me that sounds completely normal. :rockin:

Hombrewing is A-retentive and labor intensive. Anybody willing to do it is probably obsessive-compulsive anyway.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :D

I'm also addicted.

I currently have 9 cases of beer in my closet. A pale ale and hefe that need to be bottled. And a Scottish 80/- i'll be brewing this weekend. I have more beer than i am able to drink. But i suppose there are worse problems to have. :D

This might not seem like a lot, but I've only been brewing for 3 months...

It is addictive. I dont have much patience for waiting, so getting another batch going while one is conditioning helps with my compulsions ;)

Luckily I have other hobbies that take up a bunch of time, so I have a distraction from waiting on beer to finish up :mug:

I can't wait to start my braggot but I am not looking forward to waiting for 6-8 months! I am brewing it for Christmas presents. This addiction is teaching me delayed gratification!

I just started in January with Mr. Beer. I have since upgraded to 5 gallon. I bottled 5 galls of Oktoberfest yesterday, drank my first batch, have a mr. beer BrewHAHA conditioning, have another one to brew tonight, and I brewed a 5 gal. of honey oatmeal stout last night. A friend of mine said that if he catches me with over 100 gallons in my house, he's calling the feds! hahahaha:rockin:

My current inventory....

Drinking....IPA, various bottles of Oaked Smoked Brown Ale, Smoked brown ale, Poor Richard's Ale
Avoiding....Marris Otter/Argentinian Cascade SMaSH (It sucks)
Bottle Conditioning.....Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (but as a Lager,) Chocolate Mole Porter, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Peach Mead
In Primary.....Schwartzbier, Vienna Lager
Bulk Aging....Mead
Lagering....Dead Guy Clone Lager
Assorted bottles of nearly everything I have ever brewed, at least one of each batch, and some apfelwein......

I just started in January with Mr. Beer. I have since upgraded to 5 gallon. I bottled 5 galls of Oktoberfest yesterday, drank my first batch, have a mr. beer BrewHAHA conditioning, have another one to brew tonight, and I brewed a 5 gal. of honey oatmeal stout last night. A friend of mine said that if he catches me with over 100 gallons in my house, he's calling the feds! hahahaha:rockin:

Tell him that's not funny :( I went from 0 gallons to over 80 gallons in three months. It has since stabilized at a more reasonable level but still.

i hope to god that you are kegging that 80 gal! That would be like 3600 bottles to find, clean, and then bottle!!!!!!!!! My project for the summer is to build a three tap kegerator!!!!!!!! That way I will only bottle things like cider, mead, and other novelistic drinks.

i hope to god that you are kegging that 80 gal! That would be like 3600 bottles to find, clean, and then bottle!!!!!!!!! My project for the summer is to build a three tap kegerator!!!!!!!! That way I will only bottle things like cider, mead, and other novelistic drinks.

(Actually its only 800 or so. Still a pita but not as bad as 3600)

The nice thing is to get to a point in your pipeline where you are glancing through your BeerSmith brew log and realize that you have a beer that you have not even tried yet and it has been in bottle over 6 weeks. This happened to me this weekend. The beer was farging delicious.

Count me in. Made my first AG, a porter, few months ago, and ATM I have MO-Centennial SMaSH carbing in bottles and IPA in a primary :mug:

Here's a picture of that porter, three weeks in a bottle. Not fully carbed yet, and after 30 seconds there were no head anymore... but it tasted good already :)

bermod_porter_14-02-2009933.jpg

My current inventory....

Drinking....IPA, various bottles of Oaked Smoked Brown Ale, Smoked brown ale, Poor Richard's Ale
Avoiding....Marris Otter/Argentinian Cascade SMaSH (It sucks)
Bottle Conditioning.....Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (but as a Lager,) Chocolate Mole Porter, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Peach Mead
In Primary.....Schwartzbier, Vienna Lager
Bulk Aging....Mead
Lagering....Dead Guy Clone Lager
Assorted bottles of nearly everything I have ever brewed, at least one of each batch, and some apfelwein......

:off:
Revvy, is the recipe for the chocolate mole porter posted somewhere? That sounds interesting. I would love to know how it comes out.

:off:
Revvy, is the recipe for the chocolate mole porter posted somewhere? That sounds interesting. I would love to know how it comes out.

No...it's an experiment...I don't tend to post recipes like that until they're "ready."

But....Here's roughly what it is... 2.5 gallon recipe...

Amount Item Type
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain

Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 8.13 qt of water at 170.5 F
45 min - Hold mash at 158.0 F for 45 min
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 0.21 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 1.47 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 2.93 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.060 SG with all grains/extracts added

75 min 2.1 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar
60 min 0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops
30 min 0.25 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (30 min) Hops
5 min 0.50 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2 min 0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (2 min) Hops

2.5 disks Abuelita Brand Mexican Hot Chocolate + 1 tsp my chili powder in Mash tun. 1/4 disk @ 40 and 1/4 disk + 1 tsp Cayene pepper @ 2 minutes.

I won't vouch anything to how this recipe will be yet....I had a bottle by accident after 2 weeks in bottle...and the pepper burned...but it had no head yet, and no chocolate aroma...we'll see in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back