How is Bavarian Hefe supposed to taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I bought a Heffe kit after recieving input by many HBT members.

I don't know too much about beer, well compared to most of you, but this is unlike anything I've ever tasted/made before.

I think the taste is un-natural, so I will do my best to describe what it tastes like.

It smells great like a beer should.

the color is nice (a little lite on the yeast but it looks ok) I will post a picture.

But It's got a slight sour twang to it.

Is this how heffe tastes? If so sorry to take up your time with this post, if not where could i have gone wrong?

phpvjCYkYAM.jpg

post your recipe, different yeasts (especially in the hefeweizen category) impart a lot of different characteristics. that being said if you get any citrus tartness make sure its not like a green apple because that could mean off flavors from acetaldehyde

Your fermentation temp will also affect the balance of flavors from your yeast in a Hefe. Some prefer more clove, some more banana.

I'm interested in the ingredients too... citrus flavors suggest to me hops...

Plus, your hefe looks awful young. My hefe had a pumpkin orange look, and I let it age for another week or two before bottling, and the color lightened significantly and and the flavor improved drastically. I think I recall a weird tangy flavor to it too, to the point where I was thinking of dumping it. I'm glad I didn't.

Time is my suggestion. Hefes are supposed to be drank young, but it was 2 months before mine hit it's stride and I "OM NOM NOM NOM" the whole batch in a couple weeks.

I'm interested in the ingredients too... citrus flavors suggest to me hops...

Plus, your hefe looks awful young. My hefe had a pumpkin orange look, and I let it age for another week or two before bottling, and the color lightened significantly and and the flavor improved drastically. I think I recall a weird tangy flavor to it too, to the point where I was thinking of dumping it. I'm glad I didn't.

Time is my suggestion. Hefes are supposed to be drank young, but it was 2 months before mine hit it's stride and I "OM NOM NOM NOM" the whole batch in a couple weeks.

The hefe was brewed on 12/04/08 and kegged yesterday. It looks the way it does because much of the yeast fell out, and I didnt pull any off the bottom of the carboy when transfering to keg.

I used the dry yeast that northern sold with the kit.

It's not terrible, after the 2nd beer it was quite nice, but the beer makes me gassy, omg very gassy:eek:

My first brew I did a Hefe. It also had a sour taste to it after coming out of the fermenter, but after a week or two it faded away. I also used a dry yeast, WB-06.

what was your recipe? Usually green beer makes people gassy so ide say it wasnt finished...what were your gravity readings also?

My first wheat beer used WB-06.. it was nice and fruity..
Later, I made a honey wheat beer with nottingham... it tastes dry with a lot of honey flavor.. (1# honey)... well, I drank most of it within a month....but I just drank one 2 months later.. wow... it is so nice... mellow honey tastes and good dry wheat ale...
This tells me that yeast do make a difference on special beer like wheat...
Enjoy...

Back