Sanitizing with houshold "fill in the blank"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
This dude at work shot me an email about sanitizing for his first brew. I won't get a chance to share some of my sanitizer with him as this is my Friday, and he's brewing this weekend.

Is there a household something he could use to sanitize his fermenter and I'll get him some starsan or equivalent before he bottles?

Thanks in advance!

He said he got a brew kit for Xmas so I assume it's a bucket. I don't know though.

Thanks for the response. I thought about that too. maybe a 10 % solution and then rinse it well with clean water.

The Clorox site lists the proper concentrations for sanitation, I believe it's 1, tablespoon per gallon COLD water as bleach loses effectiveness with hot water. Fill the bucket drop in airlock, tubes anything you won't be boiling and rinse twice or until you can't smell bleach on the equipment. Cheers!

Unscented thin bleach and a bit of vinegar. Google for the recipe. The hard bit is knowing how strong your bleach is. It degrades over time so buy a new bottle.

Not sure if your joking about windex, if so hilarious. If not.....ummm.....

joking... I'm a starsan man for sure :mug:. I would go with bleach and some drug stores sell iodine if he cant get to a brew store.

I read that on a little bottle of wine chemical I used yesterday morning. Good to know.

Back