Married not even a half-year...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one on here with a regular old gold band? Huh.

Never lost/broke my ring, although it's plenty banged up from life over the last almost-ten years.

Last year my wife and I were on a bike ride, when she lost her ring at a rest stop. She didn't realize it until we were a couple of miles down the road, so she stayed with the kids, and I went back to look for it--incredibly, I found it almost immediately, right where we had stopped, sitting nicely right on top of a huge pile of dead leaves. 999 times out of a thousand, that ring would have fallen in among the leaves and I never would have found it. As it was, I put on my most serious face and told her I couldn't find it for about ten minutes, after which I gave it back to her--and got promptly punched in the shoulder for making her think it was gone. Guess I deserved that one.

+1 for white/yellow GOOOOLLD (think Austin powers gold member).

Sure it might scratch a bit but my jeweler will polish/replate it whenever I want for free.

It always seems I am working on something or other and I always worried (justified or not) about getting a malleable metal ring clamped onto my finger. Hence tungsten.

I've sometimes thought about wearing it around my neck on a chain, high-school teenager style. Or, more sexily, like this guy:
Nathan_Drake_render.jpg

Kyle

Still have my first one (plain gold band) after eight years. Did have to help a buddy earlier this year who lost his while hogging catfish in flooded backwaters. I am amazed he got it back, we waited about three months for the water to go down then went back with a metal detector, half hour later we were digging it out of the mud.

I've had my Ti ring for almost 5 years. I am very hard on it, but it has held up well. The key is to let it get so scratched up that it looks like a brushed finish.

I heard they now put sheer points into these tungsten rings so they can be smashed with a hammer and break into 2 pieces.
My ring was about 2 sizes to big for me as we'll I could fit it only index finger, but ever since my drinking hobby I can't even fit it on my ring finger, if it were gold or something softer, I could simply get it resized but its not so it sits in the jewelry box.

Still have my first one since 22 years ago today, in fact. My finger was apparently much thinner then, because now it won't come off. No matter how hard we try or what tricks we use, it won't go past the knuckle....if I ever want to take it off I guess it'll have to be cut off.

One simple solution for you....

I've been married over 17 years and haven't worn my wedding band in probably 16 of those. Simply don't wear it and you won't break it! :)

i've worn mine for almost 14 years, and it's gold with 5 diamonds inlaid ( i wanted simple gold, but she wouldn't hear it ) . still in 1 piece

Ok this frigging ring...

The other day I am going around the house, doing household stuff like taking out the garbage, and realize my ring isnt on my hand. The damn thing is too big to begin with, and now that its cold out my fingers are shrinking a bit.

Look everywhere... nothing.

Go back outside, bring the garbage back in, sort through the garbage elbow deep in crap... nothing. Wife gets home, and I come clean, I lost my ring.

She finds it 10 minutes later on my computer chair.

Arg.

When working outside in the cold, I used to loose my old ring in gloves all the time. I would pull my glove off and the ring would slide right off inside the glove.

typical woman, finding something in 10 minutes that I've spent hours looking for, then she has the audacity to say, "Oh look... it's RIGHT HERE".

When I go to the Y, I undo two eyelets of laces on a shoe and tie my ring into the shoelaces - all so that the knurled steel barbells don't mess it up. Then I forget to put it back on and freak out because I can't find it.

I've had my tungsten carbide ring for almost two years now w/ no problems at all. Love the look and feel of it.

I should have seen the warning signs. The next week after this thread started I lost my wedding ring. Some where between taking it off, putting it in my pocket to bottle apple cider and getting to my parents for dinner it went MIA. Luckily I followed my dad advice; get insurance on my wifes jewelry and my ring for lost/stolen coverage in addition to the homeowners policy.

The apple cider tastes like crap but we are in the processed of getting my replacement ring.

I actually spend a lot of time with my ring off. I don't wear it while working and usually not when I'm just around the house. Also, like creamy, it slips off easy this time of year when it's cold. What helps to not lose it (same goes for keys) is always put it in the same place every time I take it off. And never put it in my pocket. I've managed to go almost nine years without damaging or losing it.
Now that I'm typing this I'm thinking I'll probably lose it now. :)

+1 for white gold. I can scrape it and ding it up and it'll polish out like new. That said, I've lost at least 65lbs since I got married nearly 9yrs ago and the damned thing won't stay on my finger. I've lost it at least 4 times in as many months. Once was in a pile of leaves about 2 feet deep but I somehow managed to find it. Took it to a jeweler a while back, and for him to re size it as much as it needs it would cost almost as much as a new ring. It's a low profile ring, so there isn't a lot to it. Guess I'll be dealing with it as is for a little longer.

I actually spend a lot of time with my ring off. I don't wear it while working and usually not when I'm just around the house. Also, like creamy, it slips off easy this time of year when it's cold. What helps to not lose it (same goes for keys) is always put it in the same place every time I take it off. And never put it in my pocket. I've managed to go almost nine years without damaging or losing it.
Now that I'm typing this I'm thinking I'll probably lose it now. :)

I had a pretty typical story. I coach at a strength and conditioning gym on the side and found myself taking my ring off almost every day. (I wouldn't wear it at the gym because the bars would cause it to pinch my skin and rip off my calluses.) Last year for Christmas, the wife surprised me with a trip to the tattoo artist (my first and only) and now I don't have to take it off or resize it!

13 years married, lost the original yellow gold band twice before I put it in the drawer and no longer wear it. I had lost a good bit of weight and the ring no longer fit well enough. Once I lost it in the ice bin behind the bar at work. Had to burn the ice to find it had gone down the drain so that meant taking apart the plumbing. Other time it literally fell off while I was asleep. Hand was hanging off the side of the bed, ring rolled behind the night stand and I did not find it until cleaning up a month or so later. I had looked high and low for days before giving up.

When I put it in the drawer I made a new one out of a chunk of stainless steel at work. I did not wear it at work but I could just throw it in the tool box in the morning and put it back on in the evening before going home. No worries about someone snatching the gold one from my box at work since it only tool 30 min of my time to make.

Alas, its currently at the bottom of Grand Lake. I dived in to retrieve a 5 gallon bucket (I hate litter) and it slipped off. didnt realize until I was on the boat.

Guess I'll have to try this again.

Interesting to see some of the tungsten/carbide/titanium group switch to white gold... I was debating on going from WG to one of the others because it scratched so badly. But now that I'm more conscious of it I dont bang it around as much...

Still debating since the others can be had fairly cheap.

CreamyGoodness said:
Alas, its currently at the bottom of Grand Lake. I dived in to retrieve a 5 gallon bucket (I hate litter) and it slipped off. didnt realize until I was on the boat.

Guess I'll have to try this again.

See! No good can come from cleaning up other people's trash. Now, what did you learn? ;)
Sorry about the ring. I've had mine slip off when my hands were wet but not anymore. My fingers have fattened up a little bit and now it's difficult to get the thing back off once its on.

My fingers have fattened up a little bit and now it's difficult to get the thing back off once its on.

See, that is how they trap you...she realizes that you can get that ring off and talk to that one girlfriend that they all have and she puts thoughts in their head.

Am I the only guy here who actually lost his first wedding ring? That went over well. Worked out in the end though, the new one was an upgrade, because by that time I actually had some money. And I've had it for 15+ years now. It never comes off. I learned my lesson.
I lost my ring 4 months after we got married-at a geology club keg party I fell down a steep hill and halfway down I felt it come off my finger. Spent a week with a metal detector, found lots of interesting stuff, but never found my ring. I also never replaced it, so for the past 33 years I've been married but ringless. Since my wife was a bartender first, then a nurse, she hasn't worn her ring for 30 years. It hasn't mattered to either of us. If you need a ring to remind you of your commitment you've got problems

I've got the Amazon $30 tungsten ring. Married 4+ year and amazed I haven't lost it yet. Not worried if I do lose it, since I can replace it for cheap.

My wife is a worrier and heard the can't-cut-the-ring-off rumor. I did a little searching and found out you can crack it with a pair of vice grips - no need to whack your already-swollen finger with a hammer.

Am I the only guy here who actually lost his first wedding ring? That went over well. Worked out in the end though, the new one was an upgrade, because by that time I actually had some money. And I've had it for 15+ years now. It never comes off. I learned my lesson.

Seems you are not. :eek: I'm on #2. Lost my gold one with a vine pattern cut into it in when I did lawn care. I was sure it came off in a big leaf pile. I hunted in that thing for days. It was a really big pile filling a hole. I even looked a year later after some of the leaves had broken down. No ring.

Now we have another matching set. Silver woven pattern. I was working with chlorine at work and turned this one an oil rubbed bronze color. Looked really cool that way. The tarnish wore off in like two days and it's back to silver.

When I go to the Y, I undo two eyelets of laces on a shoe and tie my ring into the shoelaces - all so that the knurled steel barbells don't mess it up. Then I forget to put it back on and freak out because I can't find it.

All that's going on at "the Y", huh? :fro::rockin:

I had a pretty typical story. I coach at a strength and conditioning gym on the side and found myself taking my ring off almost every day. (I wouldn't wear it at the gym because the bars would cause it to pinch my skin and rip off my calluses.) Last year for Christmas, the wife surprised me with a trip to the tattoo artist (my first and only) and now I don't have to take it off or resize it!

I just got mine tattooed on. It's a ball & chain.

We thought about that, but read that finger tats don't last. Had a parlor tell us that too. What's been yalls experience? I see one of you has two.

I'm on my third ring and been married for 3 & 1/2 years. The first ring was too small so I had it resized. When I did, the jeweler used a lesser quality gold that had a lot more nickel in it. I have a nickel allergy, so that ring was replaced with tungsten ring #2. Tungsten ring #2 flew off my hand and shattered while moving some furniture. Micro-fractures in tungsten are very common and they will shatter along those fractures before they "give." Kinda like a hardwood tree vs. a pine tree in a hurricane. Pines have a lot of flexibility and will bend and twist before they break. Hardwood, like an oak or a walnut, would just break.

Ring #3 was an ebay buy with a similar look to my original ring from a jeweler in NC. Three small inset diamonds in a center rope pattern. This one is very low nickel and feels great.

Homercidal said:
I just don't wear my ring. So far I haven't been hit on at the bars too much...

Yeah, I think my looks are more of a deterrent than my ring would be.

Haven't been hit on in over 40 years of marriage.
Ring's been on my key chain pretty much the whole time.

Any day now. I just know it! :p

We thought about that, but read that finger tats don't last. Had a parlor tell us that too. What's been yalls experience? I see one of you has two.

We've been married over 6 years and it still looks great. Also, you can always get it touched up. For a ring on a finger it will take 10 minutes to touch it up.

I'm on ring two. Drastically less expensive at $60 including shipping, so here's to hoping this one lasts. Wish me luck.

Platinum works for me. Though it sits at home in the gun safe, I cannot stand to wear jewelry. My wife knows that I am committed to her in my heart and that is good enough for her.

Same, work with high voltage/amp, CNC, Robotics etc. Just to dangerous so sits in her jewelry box. My actions express my love more then a hunk of metal(no matter what it's value):D

Back