First Brew is Going.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6357

Reaction score
Alright, went to my local brew store yesterday and got all the supplies I will need to get started. Went and splurged a bit on a nicer boil kettle that I can use if I get into all grain. First brew will be a "Fat Tire clone".

I wanted to go with a nice amber ale, and something I like and that I am familiar with in taste (then I can judge how I did). Only way I am veering from their recipe is I think I will do a 2-stage fermentation. I'm hoping this will make a clearer beer.

Any tips you guys have will be greatly appreciated! I will keep you posted! So far, so good!

Thanks!

kyle6357 said:
Alright, went to my local brew store yesterday and got all the supplies I will need to get started. Went and splurged a bit on a nicer boil kettle that I can use if I get into all grain. First brew will be a "Fat Tire clone".

I wanted to go with a nice amber ale, and something I like and that I am familiar with in taste (then I can judge how I did). Only way I am veering from their recipe is I think I will do a 2-stage fermentation. I'm hoping this will make a clearer beer.

Any tips you guys have will be greatly appreciated! I will keep you posted! So far, so good!

Thanks!

Good luck brother. My first brew (Caribou Slobber from NB) is currently in the secondary.

Hope the FT clone turns out great for ya!

All went well till I added the yeast.......it "blew up" a bit. It was a WhiteLabs 'test tube'. I let it get to room temp and shook it up a directed. Lets just hope for the best! I only lost a little yeast when it "blew up" over the sink; so it should be ok. Any thoughts?

I only use white labs. In the future, crack it open store it upright and let it warm up. Most the co2 will come out. Tighten lid shake, then open slowly and repete. No more blow ups....

I only use white labs. In the future, crack it open store it upright and let it warm up. Most the co2 will come out. Tighten lid shake, then open slowly and repete. No more blow ups....

You think Ill be OK though given the "blow-up"? I did aerate well prior.

o yea youll be fine my first WL blew up in my face too
your not a brewer untill you get your first yeast facial

No bubbles yet......put yeast in at 10pm. How can I tell water lock is activated?

dont sweat it when ferm starts it will be unmistakeable
tiny bubbles will form first, followed by regular chugging of large bubbles

I love the sound of an airlock in the morning, it sounds like victory

I have my first batch in primary for 9 days now, when I capped it I had the whole family on bubble watch. I was fortunate and it was popping nicely in 8 hours, woke the family with my enthusiasm. In about 36 hours it slowed and now I'm guessing it occasionally bubbles. I haven't seen it go recently but the water level in the airlock changes. I have it fermenting at 67-69 degrees.

What ambient temperature do you have it sitting at?

Back