dry-hopped cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
I realize this isn't a beer--but it is gluten free and will be rather "beer" like, at least I hope so.

I recently made a dry-hopped cider with cascades and I love it! There are several people making a cider right now with belgian ale yeast, coriander and orange peels so that got me to thinking...

3 gallon batch

3 gallons of apple juice
1lb dark brown sugar
3tsp of coriander
peel of 1 orange

Safbrew T-53

Let ferment for 2 weeks then dry-hop with .35 cascade and .35 centennial for 7 days. Then bottle.

I'm with ya! I love hard cider and ever since I set up a kegerator its been better than ever.

I have a cider in secondary right now that I plan to dry hop with an ounce of Cascade and back sweeten with 2 cans of apple juice concentrate.

That sounds interesting. Two weeks ago I threw 3 gallons apple juice, 1 gallon cider with spices from trader Joes, 1 lb Brown sugar and used the same Belgium yeast but added caramel 80 steeped to it. It fermented for a good 10 days and now is being dry hopped with cascade. Going into the keg soon. Exciting!

I dry hopped 3.5 gallons of cider with 1/2 oz Belma 5 days ago. It's been on US05 for about a month and a half. It's still pretty terrible. We're going to ride it out and see how it ages.

I did one a couple of months ago. I decided to not do a dry hop, but put the hops into a roiling boil of water on the hob. I then added this to the apple juice and used a spiced caramel syrup to ferment. Worked out ok, but it did need a few months to be drinkable without wincing. Haha I did it so that I could actually drink it warm like a mulled wine. Also did a blueberry mead in the same way.

I thought hops were the technical requirement for it to be beer?

I plan on trying some different yeast options on ciders next year. Also on the list would be to try a GF graff with relatively high malt content and hopping it.

Back