Rye,crystal and vienna mix for an ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExplosiveJoseph

Reaction score
I'm making an IPA tomorrow with a touch of rye malt. Its about 4lbs dme, 2lb 2 row, 1lb Vienna and 1lb 20L crystal. I'm thinking the crystal and Vienna combo might be too much maltiness for an IPA. I'm mostly concerned about the rye and how it will play with the crystal and Vienna. I've never brewed with rye before. Does anyone have any info or experience brewing with these three malts?

I didn't use Vienna but I did a recipe with
11lb 2 row
3 lb rye
.75 crystal 77
.5 carapils
.5 flaked wheat

And it turned out pretty malty next time. I think I would go with half pound of crystal and 2 lbs rye with 1 lb carapils.

Rye malt adds an interesting spice to the beer at smaller doses. I made this Rye pale ale and it turned out pretty good. It was certainly malty due to the munich and vienna which is what I prefer. The rye at that level is more of a mild spicy note rather than like eating a slice of rye bread.

I like the maltiness that 1-2 lbs of vienna or munich gives to an IPA. i do think next time I may slip in sme RYE as well.

Yeah I think the absence of crystal is popular, look at Firestone walker they don't use crystal in their GABF gold IPA and pale ales

Back