Stainless steel prep table for brew stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Has anyone considered converting a stainless steel prep table into a brew stand? I see them on eBay for around $200 with free shipping. Couldn't you just buy buy one and modify the top portion of the table to accommodate the burners etc?

I bought a heavy duty stainless table from surplus auction for around 50 bucks. Made a brew stand for my son. Worked great. Unfortunately I don't have any pics and it resides at his house.

roadymi said:
I bought a heavy duty stainless table from surplus auction for around 50 bucks. Made a brew stand for my son. Worked great. Unfortunately I don't have any pics and it resides at his house.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/New-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Prep-Work-Table-24-x-49-NSF-/00/$(KGrHqEOKnIE4Fi3hCt2BOJ7y(ITbQ~~0_12.JPG

I've been thinking about a stainless table like that with lips on three sides to act as a large drain board that leads to a sink on one end. Would make it really easy to cleanup.

I just finished my SS prep table rig! 6in burner 1.jpg

hot.jpg

Brew Stand1.jpg

burner cage.jpg

I bought a really nice stainless steel prep table from IKEA not too long ago on clearance sale. Its been one of the best things I've added to my system yet. Very easy to clean and looks awesome. I'll post a pic when I get home if I can remember.

Sams club sometimes carrys the same thing. A few years ago a friend of mine got one identical to that for about 115.

I just purchased 2 ss prep tables from a local deli/coffee shop that went out of business. I think that a lot of it has to do with the structural integrity of the individual table. One of the tables that I purchased is ultra heavy duty with a solid base and a truss system to reinforce the top. I'm a big guy and i can sit in the middle of this table without the slightest bit of bowing....and it doesn't have mid span support posts. That table I am very comfortable using for my brew stand. The other table is more like what you would get for $200, which was designed for prepping food, not for bearing a large load on the top. My second table, I would not be comfortable with 3 vessels on top, 2 of which would be full of hot liquids, at any given time. It just wasn't built to support that kind of a load.

I'm building an all electric system, so I don't need burners, but I agree with DarkPhyre. I would not ruin the structural integrity of the ss top by cutting access holes for burners. I would mount them above somehow. Regardless, just make sure that your prep table is structurally sound enough to support the load of full brewing vessels. :mug:

I have been thinking the same thing recently. I have the medium duty on. I was thinking rims with hlt and boiling close to the edge with a place for the tubes to come down to the mash on the bottom rack. I actually have 2 of these tables. Any other ideas of configurations?

Nice work! Mine is a converted Chef's table I purchased at auction. Here is a link that may give you some ideas.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/maxout-brew-station-256435/

I absolutely love it. Lots of working space and easy to clean. I'm surprised this concept is not more popular? You can find nice stainless tables and even re-enforce them with steel underneath for less money than building a stainless Brutus from scratch with allot less work. Most stainless kitchen tables usually have a bottom shelf perfect for pumps and chillers and give you the basic frame work to build off.

roadymi said:

Did you ever have a dunce to snap some pics?

http://images.craigslist.org/5V25O25X23n83mc3o0bad9e129730321511c4.jpg

Here is a stainless steel prep table I found on craigslist for $125. It will need mods such as shortening and adding casters etc. Do you guys think this could work? It looks a little wide but for the price I can deal with that. It's also 6 feet long. Does the gauge of stainless steel matter? This is 18 gauge. Need some thoughts guys!

CrankyBeaverBrewery said:
Bingo !! im going with this route !.. what kind of reinforcment did you have to do ?

None. I have a strong one that has thick legs. It's very portent for thick legs. Also we can roll the table just about anywhere. I use it to keep the mash ton and extra hot liquid.

I got my SS stand for $15.00. It used to house a small refridgerator and a couple cutting boards at a pizza place that went out of business. I wish I had a more recent picture...I've since shined the whole thing up and mounted a plate chiller on it. This pic is from the day I got it:

30368d1311439564-brew-bag-stand-07232011199.jpg

Latest posts

Back