What to Do with My Pacman Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish

Reaction score
So I have a case of Rouge beer that I really hit the jackpot with: there is a good amount of yeast sediment in several of the bottles (it's an orange honey ale). I am planning on using it in about two weeks when I make my next beer.

I know that Rouge literally uses Pacman in EVERYTHING they make. Can I use this yeast in pretty much anything too? Or does the type of beer I harvest it from have an effect on the finished beer?

I wanted to make a Belgian style wit or heffe next. From what I can tell Belgian styles usually require specialty yeast. So should I scrap the Belgian wit/heffe idea for now and make something else with the Pacman? Are there styles that Pacman is particularly good for?

Thanks!

No clue, but you should post pics of the harvesting operation. Always love to see yeast get wrangled.

I don't think Pacman will do what you're thinking if you're after said hefe or wit; those are "yeastie" beers that rely on a certain yeast type for a good portion of their flavor. Pacman is superb for dryer ales as it will ferment down beyond what most Belgians will. I'm not sure what flavor it will impart at Belgian fermentation temps.

I don't think Pacman will do what you're thinking if you're after said hefe or wit; those are "yeastie" beers that rely on a certain yeast type for a good portion of their flavor. Pacman is superb for dryer ales as it will ferment down beyond what most Belgians will. I'm not sure what flavor it will impart at Belgian fermentation temps.

Hmmm, maybe an ESB then. Any thoughts on that? Rouge's ESB is pretty decent, and goes great with cheeseburgers (which happen to be one of my favorite foods).

Well Rogue makes all of their ales with pacman but they aren't making any (authentic) belgian beers and they aren't making any german wheat beers. So you can make any american ale with it, which is what Rogue does.

Excellent yeast for any American style craft ales.

Possibly could be used for an American Heff, but could attenuate too much. If you like it dry, give it a go. American Heff is highlighted by added spices and not the yeast.

Will make a passable English style ale, but will be low on ester production.

No good for typical Belgian beers which are highlighted by the esters produced by the yeast.

Also good for a pseudo larger. Ferment at low temps to get a clean ferment (down to as low as 40 F).

It's a versatile yeast, and will do just about anything except what you are wanting to do.

So I have a case of Rouge beer that I really hit the jackpot with: there is a good amount of yeast sediment in several of the bottles (it's an orange honey ale). I am planning on using it in about two weeks when I make my next beer.

I know that Rouge literally uses Pacman in EVERYTHING they make. Can I use this yeast in pretty much anything too? Or does the type of beer I harvest it from have an effect on the finished beer?

I wanted to make a Belgian style wit or heffe next. From what I can tell Belgian styles usually require specialty yeast. So should I scrap the Belgian wit/heffe idea for now and make something else with the Pacman? Are there styles that Pacman is particularly good for?

Thanks!

Save yourself the trouble and just buy a pack from AHB or any of the supply houses. It's a great yeast for just about any ale except Belgian. It is very attenuative so stay with the drier beers and you will be good to go.

Ooh. Pacman... Love that yeast. Great for anything American including stouts. Actually, its bloody amazing in stouts.

Since you have the Rogue yeast, I would make a Smoked Porter clone, I have brewed that with the pacman with very delicious results.

Back