Rye IPA next...Sparge questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgbranch

Reaction score
I just ordered the Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA from Brewmasters. This will be my second AG brew and I am excited. I do have a few questions about this recipe pertaining to my system.
I am using a 10gal Cooler with a false bottom....

I am assuming this recipe calls for a "Batch Sparge" like the Haus Pale Ale. For Ed's Haus Pale Ale I ended up with more pre-boil volume than expected (7gal instead of 6.5gal) and missed my OG a little low.
After mashing should you stir prior to adding the 180 degree water or after or both?
Do you repeat this after adding sparge water? The HPA recipe had it sit with the 175 degree sparge water for 15 minutes. Should I stir after this 15 minutes?

My kit came with a Fly Sparge system but I have yet to use it. Batch Sparging seems so easy but I fear I am leaving some sugar behind somehow, somewhere.

Thanks......

You've got the right equipment for fly sparging if you want to, but I wouldn't worry about leaving some sugars behind. I use the same equipment, and only get about 5% more efficiency with a fly sparge. If I ever got used to batch sparging, I suspect the difference would be even less.
As for stirring, you definitely need to stir as you add the water, and David's suggestion for two extra stirs certainly won't hurt, and may help with the efficiency. Just give it a few minutes to settle before vorlaufing.

-a.

Thanks for the information!!
I'll tell you, Batch Sparging is so easy that I think I will continue with that process for my next few AG batches. The SWMBO is giving me the hairy eyeball about the extra 10gal cooler and sparge gear sitting quietly so it won't be long til I break out the Fly Sparger.

Another thing is I lose a LOT of water during the boil. I had thought about backing down on the boil intensity with my last brew but when it came in a half gallon over (pre-boil) I went ahead and let it rock.
How hard do you guys boil?
The cooker below is very similar to what I have. The burner on the right is slightly bigger than the other and really puts out. The Bee Cave Rye Pale calls for a 90 minute boil. I fear I could lose a lot of water if I don't cut it back some.

0267-01287-0001-p1.jpg

It's funny you should find batch sparging so easy. I find fly sparging to be much easier (but it takes longer). I guess they are both pretty easy, but the method you are most familiar with is the easiest.
As for boil intensity, I use a good rolling boil after the hot break has subsided, which boils off about 1.5g per hour in my 10g Polarware kettle.

-a.

There is nothing to be gained in batch sparging by letting your sparge water sit after adding it. I simply stir it in, vorlauf, and runoff.

It's funny you should find batch sparging so easy. I find fly sparging to be much easier (but it takes longer). I guess they are both pretty easy, but the method you are most familiar with is the easiest.
As for boil intensity, I use a good rolling boil after the hot break has subsided, which boils off about 1.5g per hour in my 10g Polarware kettle.

-a.

Well, I only have one AG brew under my belt and its a brand new setup. I know I have a lot of learning to do just about my system let alone AG brewing. But time isnt really an issue so I dont mind drinking a few extra cold beers and letting it sparge for an hour.

I think once I get a few under my belt and I know my system a bit better things will smooth out. (Hopefully).

If I am going to Fly Sparge my next AG brew it will be with the Bee Cave Rye IPA (In route.....) and that recipe calls for a batch sparge. So I'll have to see.....

There is nothing to be gained in batch sparging by letting your sparge water sit after adding it. I simply stir it in, vorlauf, and runoff.

Good to know, because that's how i've always done it.:mug:

I've always let it sit but would prefer to not... anyone else want to chime on this one? Perhaps it should be a thread?

The hot sparge water only serves to make the sugars soluble so that you can rinse them away easily; all the conversion happens during the rest. A good solid stir and vorlauf a few quarts and you can drain away as normal.

Discuss if you like, but I've tried both ways MANY times. The sitting makes no difference. Why should it?
Ever tried vorlaufing while stirring?
Assuming you have never done this, then you seem to be admitting that a rest is required (although it could be a very short one). :)

I think the answer really lies in how long and hard you stir. A relatively quick stir followed by a short rest will be nearly as effective as a longer stir, and it's probably affected by mash thickness as well.

-a.

I stir in the sparge water for maybe a minute (2 tops), vorlauf for a minute or 2 (usually about 1 qt.), then run off.

I agree that it make sense that you would not need to sit. Since we are just trying to rinse the grains, stirring should accomplish everything you need. I think I'm going to try this next time I brew.

Ever tried vorlaufing while stirring?
Assuming you have never done this, then you seem to be admitting that a rest is required (although it could be a very short one). :)

The vorlaufing is to set the grain bed and make a nice filter. Obviously, that can't occur while stirring.

The vorlaufing is to set the grain bed and make a nice filter. Obviously, that can't occur while stirring.

I'm aware of that. Hence the :)

My point was that a very short stir, followed by a rest is similar to a longer stir without a rest. For somebody to state that a rest is never necessary because they have never done it is not taking all the factors into consideration.
Consider this analogy.
Make 3 cups coffee.
In cup 1, add 1 tsp sugar, stir for 10 seconds and taste. Most (if not all) of the sugar will be dissolved
In cup 2, add 1 tsp sugar, stir for 1 second, wait for 15 seconds, and taste. Most of the sugar will be dissolved.
In cup 3, add 1 tsp sugar, stir for 1 second and then pour it through a filter. You will find that much of the sugar is undissolved.
This shows that (under certain circumstances) a rest is necessary.

-a.

Back