Frozen Yeast Delivery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobot

Reaction score
So my latest online supply is scheduled to be delivered to my front porch tomorrow. There are 4 packs of dry yeast in the delivery. Depending on what time the delivery occurs, the packages might spend a few hours on the porch, waiting for me to return from work. The predicted high temperature for tomorrow is 15 deg. F.
Should I be concerned about my new yeast?
Should I make a starter with the dry yeast to verify it's Lifefullness?
Thanks!
:mug:

If it's dry, you shouldn't have any problems. Liquid would be a different story.

The big breweries routinely freeze yeast for long term storage. Yeast do not die at low temps as long as there are not rapid temp changes that cause their cell walls to expand/contract rapidly and burst.

Your yeast will be 100% fine. You don't make starters with dry yeast, but it would be helpful to reanimate them by tossing them in some 80-90F water before you pitch them in your beer.

Good luck!

I'm gunnna be in the same boat tomorrow. i'll be ordering two batches worth of stuff from midwest with a couple vials of white labs yeast. They can keep them cold & whatnot. But what about insulating against the cold?? They didn't have any packaging like that that didn't look like it'd hold a whole box of vials or packets. Dang wind is howlin everday,turning 26F into something that feels like 10F. And to think it was 64F yesterday.

:off:

Love me some animated yeast! Cartoons are my favorite............... (I know, you meant rehydrate......)

Nope, I meant reanimate, that's very proper use of the term. Yeast go dormant at low temps and literally stop moving. Once you toss them in some warm water, they start moving again. They literally re-animate. I'm even literally using the word literally quite literally.

The word "animate" is not strictly a cartoon term, silly goose. You need to watch less cartoons :) :ban: :)

Still new to this. Is the yeast time sensitive? Does it need to be pitched within a certain amount of time or can I wait a while before using the kit?

Reanimation is a pretty good term for it. Essentually correct,just didn't think of it that way myself. But I hope the packaging will keep it from freezing till my stuff gets here. Starters for sure this time.

TopherM said:
:off:

Nope, I meant reanimate, that's very proper use of the term. Yeast go dormant at low temps and literally stop moving. Once you toss them in some warm water, they start moving again. They literally re-animate. I'm even literally using the word literally quite literally.

The word "animate" is not strictly a cartoon term, silly goose. You need to watch less cartoons :) :ban: :)

Doh! :ban:

images

Back