Anyone go from kegging back to bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what on earth did he do to "blow up" his new regulator??? I'm scratching my head trying to figure out a way to do such a thing, though admittedly the Stone RIS bomber I'm 2/3 into could be making that a little tougher...

Wonder if it was a secondary without a high pressure primary in front of it. If I had a primary explode, I'd be after the supplier in a hot minute.

And what on earth did he do to "blow up" his new regulator??? I'm scratching my head trying to figure out a way to do such a thing, though admittedly the Stone RIS bomber I'm 2/3 into could be making that a little tougher...

Remember the saying about making things idiot proof, but then bigger idiots will come around to defeat those measures? There's your sign. :eek: :D

Wonder if it was a secondary without a high pressure primary in front of it. If I had a primary explode, I'd be after the supplier in a hot minute.

Well, that's what any NORMAL person would do. Not just say fudge it and look to sell the hardware. :rolleyes:

I'd find out the make/model of the regulator and where he got it. Reach out to them on his behalf and see if they'll send you a new regulator. It should be covered under warranty, unless he did something REALLY stupid. :fro:

How old is he? He might be tired of lifting the kegs. When I built a keezer and put a collar on it, I started siphoning right in to the keg while it's in the keezer. I'm 6' 220 and still don't like lifting kegs over the collar.

I'll still bottle some of my specialty brews(porters,pumpkin ale,Belgians),but my regulars are always kegged.

How old is he? He might be tired of lifting the kegs. When I built a keezer and put a collar on it, I started siphoning right in to the keg while it's in the keezer. I'm 6' 220 and still don't like lifting kegs over the collar.

I'll still bottle some of my specialty brews(porters,pumpkin ale,Belgians),but my regulars are always kegged.

He's been using a kegorator, not a keezer. So he'll be lifting more, higher, if he goes back to bottling (siphoning and such)...

I don't lift either the source, or destination for the finished beer. Fermenting keg is at ground level, and so is the destination keg. CO2 push moves the finished beer into the serving kegs. If I get a keezer, I'll be able to do it with the kegs there too. Although lifting 5 gallons of beer over the edge shouldn't be an issue.

Of all the things that I have done to improve my brewing experience, kegging is the number one thing that has produced the most satisfaction.

I used to dread bottling. The only thing I can think of, is that your son-in-law's dad has forgotten why he switched to kegging.

Convince him to keep his keg system. Once he start bottling again, he will be switching back to kegs soon.

It seems i am the only one that has switched from kegs to bottles. When i first started brewing i jumped in whole hog and bought a three keg system before my first batch was done fermenting and my roommate and i built a kegerator out of a 1962 AMC made Kelvinator fridge. Then my roommate moved out and i sold all the keg stuff to him and went back to bottle only. Bottling is more work and takes longer but i enjoy it more. Plus i dont have an extra fridge running all the time and sucking electricity and now that im the only beer drinker in the house i might drink a six pack a week so bottles are just more convenient and relaxing for me.

It seems i am the only one that has switched from kegs to bottles. When i first started brewing i jumped in whole hog and bought a three keg system before my first batch was done fermenting and my roommate and i built a kegerator out of a 1962 AMC made Kelvinator fridge. Then my roommate moved out and i sold all the keg stuff to him and went back to bottle only. Bottling is more work and takes longer but i enjoy it more. Plus i dont have an extra fridge running all the time and sucking electricity and now that im the only beer drinker in the house i might drink a six pack a week so bottles are just more convenient and relaxing for me.

When I was looking at brew fridges I checked the power usage on them. IF I had the fridge temp set to the 'normal' range (it's set higher since it has my beer in it), it would use less than $40 of power per year. Your 1962 fridge probably used several/many times that. Basically, appliances made in the last ~5 years have become so energy efficient the argument about power use is null and void.

I really enjoy being able to pull a pint, or smaller or larger, glass of what I have on tap (three brews at a time). I probably average between 1 and 2 pints a day/night. Even using 3 gallon kegs, it can take me a while to get one to kick this way. I also have a spot in the fridge for a keg to be carbonating, while the three taps are in use. That way I have a keg ready to go on tap when one kicks.

I really can't see going back to just bottling again.

I had been ok with my bottling but looking at all the replies here, it would seem foolish not to try kegging if I have the space and the cash and am looking at brewing at least once a month. The thing with the bottles is that it's not just bottling day. Its a whole process of handling the bottles after they are opened. Now that I'm not delabeling bottles anymore its a bit simpler, but kegging does seem to be the way to go.

I had been ok with my bottling but looking at all the replies here, it would seem foolish not to try kegging if I have the space and the cash and am looking at brewing at least once a month. The thing with the bottles is that it's not just bottling day. Its a whole process of handling the bottles after they are opened. Now that I'm not delabeling bottles anymore its a bit simpler, but kegging does seem to be the way to go.

Not only that, but depending on what you brew, and how much, you could be storing a few cases of bottles (or more) for months while it carbonates (higher ABV brews can take significantly longer to bottle carbonate). With a kegging system you can carbonate on gas (2-3 weeks at serving pressure and temp will carbonate pretty much anything) and then pull some off into bottles if you wish. You can even fill a growler (or several) from a keg if you wish. :D

I have had my 12.5% wee heavy in a [5 gallon] keg, carbonating on gas. I used Wyeast 1728 in the batch, so chances are (if I bottled it) it wouldn't do so well for bottle carbonating without using another yeast. I don't want to add another yeast to a brew JUST to get carbonation. Plus, since I was planning to keg it anyway... :D I need to sample some soon, to see how it's getting along for carbonation. I have another partial fill (2.5 gallon) keg of it that I need to carbonate too. I might not have that on the CO2 feed due to not enough connections at the time. I might alter the second manifold from that configuration so that I can put another keg on it. :D

Something else that's great about a kegging setup. You can carbonate pretty much any liquid you want. Want to make sparkling grape juice? Keg up some and put it on the CO2 feed. Seltzer anyone? :D Take part of that mead you started last year and keg a portion (instead of bottling) and you can carbonate that to the level you want without any of the issues with using yeast. Especially if it's either at the tolerance of the yeast, or above it, that was used. The possibilities are almost endless. :D

IMO the perfect homebrew setup is 100 bottles for beers to want to age, 5+ kegs for your quick drinkers, and a bottling adapter for your keg faucet so you can make growler pours or do bottle fills for competitions.

Kegging is so far from being a PITA I can't comprehend this problem.

IMO the perfect homebrew setup is 100 bottles for beers to want to age, 5+ kegs for your quick drinkers, and a bottling adapter for your keg faucet so you can make growler pours or do bottle fills for competitions.

Kegging is so far from being a PITA I can't comprehend this problem.

Not sure if, or how many, bottles I'll fill of my bigger brews now. With having the basement as cool as it is, they're pretty much at serving temp there. :D I might just fab up a box to hold them and put some taps onto. Maybe see if I can locate a HVAC guy to make me something to chill them down a little during the summer/warmer months (when the basement might hit the low 60's)... :D Or I'll just use ice packs during those months. :rockin:

I'm looking to get rid of 1-1/2 cases of long necks (well, mostly long necks one 6 pack has slightly shorter bottles)... I'm looking at keeping another case of them and the three cases of swing-top bottles, plus my Belgian bottles (750ml and 375ml)... Might sell off some of the 375ml Belgian bottles soon though. :D

I could put labels onto beers I bottle from keg/tap if I wanted to. I have the software and such, so it's not all that difficult. Just a matter of usually bottling from keg/tap on the quick, so I don't have the time to create the labels, print, trim, glue, etc. I do use an Epson label maker on them though, when bringing more than one kind someplace. :D

IMO, not giving up is the key. Tweak the system until it works for you. You might need longer beer lines, different presser sets, etc. I refuse to give up on it that easily. I also like how if the carbonation level isn't where you want it to be (either high or low) you can actually DO something about it with kegs. With bottles, you're pretty much F'd if it's over carbonated. Plus waiting an extended period for higher ABV beers to carbonate can such. :D With kegging, the most it should take is 3-4 weeks at serving pressure for the temperature. :D Not the months upon months it can take in bottles.

I agree with all of this. Every system is different. And for what it's worth, I've heard people say their "usual pressure" is anywhere from 6 to 12 psi. That's a lot of tinkering.

I agree with all of this. Every system is different. And for what it's worth, I've heard people say their "usual pressure" is anywhere from 6 to 12 psi. That's a lot of tinkering.

Only tinkering when you're setting up, really. I have my CO2 tank outside the fridge, so checking/adjusting is pretty damned easy. I'm also not above adjusting the pressure above/below the chart to get what I want. IME, those numbers are a good starting point. But, as mentioned, you need to tweak it to match your system.

I need to take another picture, but you can see [part of] the [dual body] regulator on the right edge of the picture. My 20# CO2 tank is connected to that. :D I've also added a KC sticker to the freezer section door.
2012-10-18_18-45-41_946-57687.jpg

Manly tap handles :D:
current_taps-57563.jpg

I think people tinker too much. Start with reasonable pressures, long lines, and set/forget. Walk away for two weeks, and 90% of the time everything is fine. Obviously do due diligence leak checking first.

If you start rushing things, eventually you'll find a method that works, but you've got to be willing to sacrifice that time and beer.

So I'm going to pick up this kegerator today. Any suggestions on the regulator? It needs to pressure two kegs. Is there anything I need to be looking for?

Frogmanx82 said:
So I'm going to pick up this kegerator today. Any suggestions on the regulator? It needs to pressure two kegs. Is there anything I need to be looking for?

Are you wanting the kegs at two different pressures?

I've seen secondary pressure regulators for pretty cheap. The primary regulator steps down the CO2 bottle pressure down to 20 or so, and then a bunch of low pressure secondary regulators are used. I saw a pic once on here with about 10 of these low pressure regulators in parallel, to get 10 different pressures. Seems overkill to me...

I've got the kegerator now. i'm going to post on another thread for some questions I have. So he didn't blow up his regulator, he just got some foam backflow through it that messed it up. He's suggesting a double product regulator similar to what was posted above.

I've got the kegerator now. i'm going to post on another thread for some questions I have. So he didn't blow up his regulator, he just got some foam backflow through it that messed it up. He's suggesting a double product regulator similar to what was posted above.

Depending on what the regulator is, and how long it's been since foam went up into it, I'd toss it and get a new one. Since it sounds like he didn't have check valves in place to protect the regulator. The foam (from the beer) could have gotten all up into it making it a nightmare to actually get clean. Unless you have all the tools, and knowledge, to strip it down, clean it, and replace any parts that are too far gone, it will be much better for your hairline to get a new one.

I'd get a brand new single, or dual, body Taprite regulator (from Keg Connection) with MFL check valves on the outlets. With the check valves, you won't need to worry about anything going back up into the regulator.

Back