Issues carbing Irish Dry Stout with beer gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galacticbrewing12

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started carbonating my Irish Dry Stout with a 75/25 nitrogen and CO2 blend at 5 psi 8 days ago. When I want to pour my beer using my stout tap it came out very flat and had no body to it. Since then I increased it to 10 psi. Just wondering what recommendations people have using a gas blend for what psi and for how long it should take to carbonate fully.

Nitrogen doesn't absorb into beer, and your pressure is too low to carbonate it. Push that sucker up to 25 PSI.

Yea, in the future it may be easier to carb on CO2 to 1.5-2 volumes depending on your preference, and then put it on the beer gas for dispensing.

Just faster carb times at lower pressure. Nitro beers are usually carbed to a low level, plus beer gas is more expensive than CO2.

I carb mine with CO2 set at 5-8. lbs (my fridge is at 45) for a week or two and then hook it up to the beergas. I set that to 30-35 lbs and get a perfect pour.

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and adjusted it to 30 psi. I plan on checking it in a week to see how things have progressed. Being that this was my first interaction with nitrogen, I am just now learning how it acts differently than CO2.

Well just to report back I went ahead and adjusted the stout to 30 psi for about 10 days and it had a great pour. It had the nice cascading effect that we expect to see with stouts on nitrogen. This method seemed to work well and have recently kegged my Oatmeal stout and plan on checking on it after a week to see where it is at. I hoping to have all three beers ready to serve for Christmas dinner next Tuesday.

Latest posts

Back