Doing something Different today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
image-2609490514.jpg

I'm going to attempt a grape/pineapple "adult beverage" (don't want to offend or confuse anyone and call it a cider;)). In going to make it a 4 gallon batch and my process is going to be very similar to one of my cider batches. Wish me luck.

image-3959198636.jpg

I'm going with 4 cans of grape concentrate

image-3566494560.jpg

Oh man! This stuff is going to be potent! I can feel it! Hopefully delicious too:)

So far I've added 2.5 gallons of the grape juice, 1.5 gallons of pineapple juice, 4 cans of grape juice concentrate and 2 tsp. of pectic enzyme. I went with Wyeast 4766 and will add that also when it's ready.

image-344746581.jpg

It's coming up! I got my "new hydrometer"

image-3949866725.jpg

image-1322231749.jpg

While I wait for my yeast starter to fire up im enjoying a tasty strawberry cider I made. Does that not loll perfect? Oh man it's tasty too.

bigbeergeek said:
What inspired the recipe?

I was at fresh and easy and was browsing their 100% juice selection. I origanally wanted to do a pure Concorde grape in a 2.5 gallon batch and another 2.5 of cherry/pineapple but the price on the cherry went up to $3.99 a quart:( I'm not going to pay that much on an experiment, so I went with the grape/pineapple infusion idea:) no idea how it's going to turn out, just know its going to be different.

I was expecting it to be well above 1.1
At 1.07 and a cider yeast you could have something yummy! (although I despise pineapple)

So I spent a little over $26 on the juice and $8 on the concentrate. $34 not bad. BTW it IS the nectar of the gods, not beer, this is good stuff (so far):) its delicious.

image-917257028.jpg

In its new home for a week or so. I will keep y'all updated.

Nice! I am anxiously awaiting the results. Side note, ordered my bottle capper tonight and caps. My Carmel apple should be bottled up by this time next weekend!

image-1824305149.jpg

image-3003403488.jpg

Well it's not bubbling away yet but look at that texture going on in here. It's very slowly moving in an upward direction. I'm not sure if the pine apple juice is separating from the grape or what?

image-1447454194.jpg

So I got home tonight and it's going off!

image-1119752746.jpg

Quick I need something to contain this! Ha ha I'm stoked.

image-562288094.jpg

I need to run a hose off this bad boy:)

Is this a cider? Sounds like a nasty pseudo-wine/hooch to me. Good luck with that. Maybe you can give it to your coworker.

At least he won't ask for more.:mug:

Unferth said:
Is this a cider? Sounds like a nasty pseudo-wine/hooch to me. Good luck with that. Maybe you can give it to your coworker.

At least he won't ask for more.:mug:

Just because it's not something you would like doesn't mean it won't be good. The title of the thread is "trying something different today". Stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something that may not sound appealing at first, is probly how brewing got going in the first place! Maybe you might surprise yourself if you "tried something different" every once in a while.....

snortwheeze said:
Just because it's not something you would like doesn't mean it won't be good. The title of the thread is "trying something different today". Stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something that may not sound appealing at first, is probly how brewing got going in the first place! Maybe you might surprise yourself if you "tried something different" every once in a while.....

+1

No need to pee in others Cheerios.

Wow thanks for the support guys. And BTW it smells great:) I'm going to give it a few more days and take a reading, see where it's at. It's bubbling every 2 minutes or so now. Not done yet!

Fair enough. Perhaps my good natured ribbing of this experiment came off in poor taste; jest doesn't translate into emoticons so well, you know. Im happy hareebrownbeest is trying this and wish him luck, because he'll need it for this to be drinkable:p I might be wrong, and I'll trust his judgement And admit so if he says it's good.

Had a taste yet, hareebrownbeest?

As for classifying this as definitively not a cider, I'll stick to my guns. We can hem and haw about whether something is a cyser, apple or pear wine or a cider, but I think fermented pineapple and grape juice definitely don't qualify, and i was simply agreeing with the thread author on HIS OWN determination it wasn't a cider. Wine, maybe, though I guess the final abv would help us narrow that down

Unferth said:
Fair enough. Perhaps my good natured ribbing of this experiment came off in poor taste; jest doesn't translate into emoticons so well, you know. Im happy hareebrownbeest is trying this and wish him luck, because he'll need it for this to be drinkable:p I might be wrong, and I'll trust his judgement And admit so if he says it's good.

As for classifying this as definitively not a cider, I'll stick to my guns. We can hem and haw about whether something is a cyser, apple or pear wine or a cider, but I think fermented pineapple and grape juice definitely don't qualify, and i was simply agreeing with the thread author on HIS OWN determination it wasn't a cider. Wine, maybe, though I guess the final abv would help us narrow that down

It did come off as snarky, but unless it's apple, pear or made with honey, let just call a cat a cat and officially call what we make here "wine coolers"

Unferth said:

Why do you think this will be nasty? Do you not like pineapple? I'm sure that taste will be stripped away anyway. Do you not like grape? Everyone's tastes are different. I tried making a hard root beer before and it tasted like **** and I admitted to it. Everyone was hoping it would of turned out and it didn't. If this doesn't work out I won't be ashamed, I'll admit it. I'm just trying something that I thought might be good. Time will tell.

+1brownbeest i say brew what you want, call it what you want and lump the rest. Heres hoping your "drink" turns out fantastic!

I'm just trying something that I thought might be good. Time will tell.

And that my friend is perfectly fine and dandy.

First off, I mean you no offense. To each their own brew house.... Or two. But commenting on anticipatory tastes, processes and results is what this forum is all about! I questioned your taste in booze experimentation choices, not life plans.

I'm all about experimentation, and what you got going may turn out amazing... But then again, there's probably a reason you don't see pineapple grape hybrid wines/ whatever on the shelf when you consider the ubiquity of both.

Best of luck, bro. Please do let us know how it turns out.

woah people getting a bit defensive in here lol

I don't know how that's gonna taste but if I had to guess I don't think it'd taste that great. Pineapple and grape juice doesn't sound like it harmonizes very well, but I think if you wanted to experiment, you should mix the juice up before hand and see how it tastes?

But what do I know I just started brewing brewing a few months ago.

Good luck!

I did taste my OG sample and it was good. I know pineapple has a reputation of fermenting nasty but it also is very very sweet and I like the taste. I will for sure keep an update going. I'm in no way taking offense I'm having fun at this. If this doesn't work out oh well:)

Checked my SG today:

image-1432601326.jpg

image-972841641.jpg

One more day and I'll check it again. If no changes I'll transfer it and cold crash. The taste is like sour grapes, like a wine, pretty dry. It's not nasty but I would rather do a true cider (with apples).

My OG was 1.072. It's at 1.000 now. My alcohol content should be around 9.36 according to OG-FG x 130=__

It's done. Been a few days and it's not moving anymore. It's about .995. My starting was 1.072.
1.072-0.995=0.077x130=10.01:)
Tastes like sour grapes at this juncture. I plan on back sweeting with more grape juice concentrate, then bottling.

Latest posts

Back