Single tier OR gravity fed three tier system $170

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was at Lowes the other day and noticed this

http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

It is called (in English) an 72"H 72"W 24"D steel Freestanding shelving unit.

Im thinking all three keggles on the middle rack for a single tier pumped system or top/mid/lower for a multi tier.

Since I plan on going single tier, I plan to build a wooden hood and bolt it to the underside of the top shelf. Pumps will be mounted at the lowest possible shelf level and the "middle" shelf will be as low as possible to still gravity-prime the pumps. On the very top, I will have a place to store grain, etc. I will mount my control panel on the left or right end.

The best part about this shelving system, other than the strength/price/customization/portability if I move/etc is that each shelf is made of really strong wire mesh. I think it would be pretty easy to saw/cut out a small section under the center of each keggle to have the ball valves underneath.

I dont work for Lowes or anything but this seemed like a pretty good brew stand solution to me.

Thoughts?

Well, it is made of steel and is rated for 2000 lbs per shelf but I guess if heat is a concern (i was thinking for my e-build....yeah maybe not as awesome using gas/propane burners....) I could put down cork mats like kals design recommends.

You will need to seal up that MDF before you get liquid anywhere near it. As soon as MDF gets ANY hint of moisture, it will expand and start falling apart... Good idea though. The hood could just mount directly to the top of the shelf.

I am a huge fan of the HBT app...but I have no idea how to upload photos with it....I think I made it my profile pic by accident..... *sigh*

If you go to lowes.com and search for "shelving" and sort by price, it should be $170

I bought that shelving unit. Unless they changed it, mine didn't come with any bottoms aside from the cheap particle board stuff. Not something that I'd want to put boiling water on. Check it out before you buy.

Okay, I finally made it home so here is the full link AND the large sized picture.
I get what someone was saying about particle-board shelving but there is no wood product involved in what I'm suggesting.

Looking for some opinions from you guys that have (heavy) 3-keggle systems. Do you think this would work as well as I do?

One shelf as low as possible, one shelf about 2' high, the top shelf as high as possible...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_319477-1281...uctId=3172913&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1

035441515134xl.jpg

Also, what I found with mine is that there really wasn't enough room to stir the mash tun as it just fit in between the bars. Also, I couldn't fit my burner and keggle in the bottom shelf, and there isn't enough space for the keggle to fit in between the horizontal bars if you were able to take out some of the "floor" of the level above it.
A three tier system just won't work with this. However, a single tier system will work very well as you can raise up the second level to be able to access the tops of the kegs.

I have a similar system for general basement storage and the bottling pipeline. The local big box store sells the pieces ala carte so you can select 18-30" depths, 3'-8' heights, and 4'-8' widths. Its a versatile set up and would work IMO as long as you don't intend on moving it on brew day. My 30" deep wireshelves do deflect quite a bit with cases of bombers on them so plan on beefing up front to back between the side rails for keggles etc.

Back