strange looking secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyH

Reaction score
I have a stout in the secondary that has a thin film on the top of it and bubbles, not quite like a krausen (sp?) more like one large bubble surrounded by several tiny bubbles, space and then repeat. I just sanitized a turkey baster and took a sample. It doesn't taste sour or smell bad so I think I am ok, but I was just wondering what that was. I am relaxing and having a homebrew (belgian ale) but I am curious, is this normal and if so what is it?

Thanks

I racked my Fuggle's IPA to secondary last Saturday night and noticed the same thing on mine. I think it's just co2 collecting on the surface, but it's only my third batch and my first time racking to a secondary :)

-pete-

Cold weather, both of you? What yeasts ?

I thinK that ale yeast behave funny when too cool. I had similar stuff last batch, and the one in the secondary now did just a bit of it. I used Cal V, which is a very warm weather friend. I'm in San Diego, my fermenter probably got down to the low 50's on the patio. Current batch I've kept inside, much better at 65-70.

I used White Labs trappist yeast. It hasn't been especially cold inside but I have gotten a few temperature swings. Spring time in KY it gets cold out for a few days and then warms up and I haven't wanted to keep turning the furnace on and then the AC and the back again so the temp in the house has been anywhere from 70-78.

I am bottling the stout today. I will keep you updated on how it turns out.

Thanks

Back