Malt purchasing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GateWay

Reaction score
Sorry for the silly question but when purchasing malt from your lhbs do you have to buy it by the pound? or do they sell you exact measures for your recipes? thanks all. cheers

At the risk of sounding glib, it depends. Not all lhbs are the same.

Whole grain is usually sold by the ounce or pound.

Dry malt, usually sold in prepackaged amounts... 1 pound, 3 pound, 5 pounds and larger. Not all lhbs carry all the different prepackaged weights.

Liquid malt is usually sold in a prepackaged can. 3.3 pound (1 kilo) being the norm. A larger lhbs may carry bulk LME that you can purchase in different weights.

And if you buy kits, you will already have the malt in the amounts needed for that recipe.

Some lhbs will sell you just what you want, others may not have that option, and you'll have to choose from what they have. The only way to know for sure, is to visit one, or several, and ask.

Thanks that answered my question. I guess I should have specified whole grain malt.

If it's a decent store you should be able to buy fractions of a pound with no issue. Usually they have bins and scales provided for you to weigh your grains

There are two that i go to near where i live, one of them (Beer & WineMakers of America) will only give you less then 1 lb amounts if you buy their recipe. The other (Seven Bridges Co-op) will sell you as little as 1/2 lb unless you buy their recipes. Both have great service but I prefer the Seven Bridges, as they specialize in organic products ( saying your homebrew is organic is nice) and because they are a co-op and make a huge portion of their business online, they have very good prices.

Back