Do you think it's possible for me to get a Partigyle out of this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, I'm making Jamil's English Barleywine this weekend, and I want to try and do something like a partigyle. Here's my recipe:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: English Barleywine
Brewer: Jacob
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.46 gal
Estimated OG: 1.113 SG
Estimated Color: 16.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
22.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 94.58 %
0.63 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.71 %
0.63 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.71 %
2.00 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 51.9 IBU
1.90 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
0.60 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 oz Oak Cubes (French House Toast) (Secondary Misc
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 23.26 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 29.08 qt of water at 161.7 F 150.0 F

Now, I know that it would probably be key for me to just use enough strike water to obtain my pre-boil for the 90 min boil, but I only have a 48 qt mash tun, so that may be out of the question.

Do you guys think that it would be possible for me to do 2 qts/lb and then batch sparge one round to obtain my barleywine pre-boil amount, then do two more 3.5 gallon batch sparges to obtain 7 gallons for my second brew? Or do you think that there wouldn't be enough sugars left?

I know this is kinda long, but I really appreciate the help,
J

Nope. The recipe you have assumes a 75% efficiency in order to get the req'd sugars for the barley wine. There might be enough in there to continue sparging and get a low og beer, but you'd be better off increasing your grain amount or topping off the mash tun with more grain after the initial runnings. Trying to increase your extract by doing a massive sparge will cause tannin extraction and not tasty beer.

Nope. The recipe you have assumes a 75% efficiency in order to get the req'd sugars for the barley wine. There might be enough in there to continue sparging and get a low og beer, but you'd be better off increasing your grain amount or topping off the mash tun with more grain after the initial runnings. Trying to increase your extract by doing a massive sparge will cause tannin extraction and not tasty beer.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about.

Thanks,
J

If you want to cut back on batch size you could partigyle it. If you cut that barleywine to 4 gallons, you could get 4 gallons of a 1.042 brew as well from that recipe.

Back