Celebration clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing recipe sometime this week (around my work schedule), and I'm trying to decide whether to do my usual amarillo/simcoe IPA combo or something like this:

11 lbs 6.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.35 %
13.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
13.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
6.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
6.5 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %

0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.9 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (15 min) Hops 31.3 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

My question is this- where did I get this recipe from? I would like to give credit to whoever I stole it from, as well as see how it came out for them! My memory is terrible, though, and my notes are lacking.

I haven't done mash hopping since before the "hop crisis", but I have a whole pound of chinook, so I figured why not? It's been a while since I've used 10 ounces of hops in a 5 gallon batch!

It looks similar to, but not exactly the same as Mike McDole's recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sn-celebration-ale-clone-recipe-96551/#post1049476). Anyway, I would go with it instead of the amarillo/simcoe IPA. Also, I talked to a brewer at Sierra Nevada and he said they use a 9:1 sulfate:chloride ratio in it. After tasting my clone that had something more like a 2:1 ratio, I think the 9:1 ratio is essential in getting the clone to taste the same as the real thing. Good luck!

It looks similar to, but not exactly the same as Mike McDole's recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sn-celebration-ale-clone-recipe-96551/#post1049476). Anyway, I would go with it instead of the amarillo/simcoe IPA. Also, I talked to a brewer at Sierra Nevada and he said they use a 9:1 sulfate:chloride ratio in it. After tasting my clone that had something more like a 2:1 ratio, I think the 9:1 ratio is essential in getting the clone to taste the same as the real thing. Good luck!

9:1? Holy smokes! Right now my brewsheet shows that I have 255:43. Even that made me a bit nervous about the hop bite! I'm near 6:1 with that.

I have brewed a very similar recipe for a celebration clone. I used McDoles recipe but toned the hop additions down just a tad. The recipe is currently on a crashed lap top so I can't check it, but that one looks about correct.

I can't speak to a 9:1 sulfate:chloride ratio, but I would stick with your 6:1. I think I went with about 4 or 5:1 and I had a pretty tasty and close clone on my last go around that took 3rd in a local competition in the IPA category.

Back