I had to. It looked so nice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zar

Reaction score
i completely forgot about this picture. I was working on some math homework the other week and decided to open up a Batch 8000. it looked pretty cool sitting there under the lamp and i was really not wanting to do this homework so i decided to take a picture. Figured id share it....and yes i know its not in the appropriate style glass.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/Zar1085/001_small.jpg

001_small.jpg

Zar said:
Trig. I think that it was some identities stuff.
Oh god! TRIG! That sends a cold shiver down my spine. Now for the knock out punch: differential equations! :eek:

Zar said:
i completely forgot about this picture. I was working on some math homework the other week and decided to open up a Batch 8000. it looked pretty cool sitting there under the lamp and i was really not wanting to do this homework so i decided to take a picture. Figured id share it....and yes i know its not in the appropriate style glass.

very nice picture;)

Nice. That could be the cover of a textbook (on brewing, of course).

FWIW, I use trig ALL the time. I think I may have used calculus once since my last undergraduate math class. I'd rather do 100 pages of trig homework than a single assignment's worth of differential equations (especially multi-variate/multi-dimensional calculus).

Kubed said:
Now for the knock out punch: differential equations! :eek:

PDEs are even more fun! And I really enjoy multi variable/vector calculus, it is fascinating.

Yuri_Rage said:
Nice. That could be the cover of a textbook (on brewing, of course).

FWIW, I use trig ALL the time. I think I may have used calculus once since my last undergraduate math class. I'd rather do 100 pages of trig homework than a single assignment's worth of differential equations (especially multi-variate/multi-dimensional calculus).

What kind of work do you do?

Pshaw, multi-variable is easy. Kubed has it right, it's differential equations that are a royal PITA. At least for me :p.

Thank goodness I'm finally getting to the point where I can let a program do a little of the grunt math work for me. I've developed a love/hate relationship with Matlab. Seems like it can do everything and nothing. :p

Zar said:
What kind of work do you do?
I fly. Trig is useful in calculating descent points (though there's a much easier way to cheat and get an approximate answer). It's also useful in solving for the appropriate release point for bombs.

diff eq was by far the hardest course i've ever taken.

Series and Diff EQ was a fun but challenging class, I thought. Combinatorics was too much fun to even count as a class. But I thought the best was Abstract Algebra. Group, Field and Ring Theories are awesome!

Frickin' hated Abstract Analysis, and I just threw up my hands and gave up when we got to Real Analysis.

Yuri_Rage said:
I fly. Trig is useful in calculating descent points (though there's a much easier way to cheat and get an approximate answer). It's also useful in solving for the appropriate release point for bombs.

You mean in this day and age you guys can't just punch in the coordinates and have the plane beep at you when it's time to nuke someone? :D

ohiobrewtus said:
You mean in this day and age you guys can't just punch in the coordinates and have the plane beep at you when it's time to nuke someone? :D
In the end, that's about how it goes. But during the planning stage, sometimes a pencil and paper still comes in handy.

lol. i think this is the first time ive seen a thread that started with a picture turn into a discussion about higher level math courses.

Someone has got to write the computer program for the plane, right? And what if the program fails, you still need to know this stuff.

Too head spinning for me.

- WW

I'm at work, working with MATLAB to solve a multivariable diff eq. I wish I had a beer that looked that good. It would make the programming that much more enjoyable. I don't think it would go over too well with the boss, though.

+1 on Dif Eq sucking ass. I had no problems with calculus, but Dif Eq was hard.

I switched into ME pretty late in the game (junior year) and started with a differential equations course. I didn't really understand what in the hell we were doing but since doing diff equations is essentially like following a recipe in a cookbook, I got a 97 on the first test much to the chagrin of comp sci and math geeks in the class.

Although in the end I finished with like a C+. We were expected to do some type of math program and write code or something with no aid or instruction from the prof.

Either way I ended up knocking out a history degree my senior year and ironically became an algebra/ freshman stat teacher at a local high school.

I was always more into math & science; than English, art, and history in high school, but I don't have a f-ing clue what you guy's are talking about here.

I did do two years in electronics in high school (highest grade in class) and 2 years working as an electronic tech. Then spent 6 years building power plants for the phone companies.

And after all that, the only thing I can add to this thread is:

I hope that is a wheat beer, or a very young cider, because it looks awful hazy from here. LOL:tank:

bbourdon said:
I'm at work, working with MATLAB to solve a multivariable diff eq. I wish I had a beer that looked that good. It would make the programming that much more enjoyable. I don't think it would go over too well with the boss, though.

Try ODE45. One of Matlab's built in Runga Kutta algorithms. Works pretty well with most linear systems.

Jesse17 said:
I hope that is a wheat beer, or a very young cider, because it looks awful hazy from here. LOL:tank:

Its Batch 8000.

DeathBrewer said:
hey! i have that glass...my mother gave it to me on my last birthday

i use it for white russians (i make BIG white russians)

That would be a pretty big white russian.

homebrewer_99 said:
The desk is too clean...a sure sign of a sick mind...

ssshhh. If its too messy it distracts me while im trying to study.

Zar said:

001_small.jpg

Wow, I'm not the only one who likes those glasses! Unfortunately I used one for coffee the other day and is shattered as I was pouring so now I'm down to one. Luckily they stock them at the local grocery store and are pretty cheap so I can easily get another one.

I don't know what's so "improper" about them--they hold 12oz, have a flared lip (which I've seen is actually desirable for aromatics) and there's a handle for ease of use. I'll pick this glass first for general purpose beer drinking, followed by a proper handled thick-glass mug, followed by my English pint glasses. Just personal preference; I don't hold much stock in specific vessels for specific beers.

Cheers~

I just had the same thought as I'm sitting here drinking. Who says fizzy yellow water doesn't taste AWESOME!

00001.jpg

you call that beer? ;)
perhaps this should become a 'what are you drinking right now thread'!

e lo said:
Series and Diff EQ was a fun but challenging class, I thought. Combinatorics was too much fun to even count as a class. But I thought the best was Abstract Algebra. Group, Field and Ring Theories are awesome!

Frickin' hated Abstract Analysis, and I just threw up my hands and gave up when we got to Real Analysis.

I never thought DiffEQ or Multivar were fun, but I survived them well enough. Those were the last pure math classes I took. Other math later in my degree was much worse. My degree is Aerospace Engineering, and when compressible aerodynamics was added, thats when my mind fell to pieces...

Oh and Stochastic Processes was pretty painful too.

JavaBeans said:
I never thought DiffEQ or Multivar were fun, but I survived them well enough. Those were the last pure math classes I took. Other math later in my degree was much worse. My degree is Aerospace Engineering, and when compressible aerodynamics was added, thats when my mind fell to pieces...

Oh and Stochastic Processes was pretty painful too.

So did you make it through the compressible aerodynmaics class?

Latest posts

Back