Favorite Macro Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
From Wikipedia

A microbrewery is a brewery which produces a limited amount of beer.[1]

In the UK, the term has become synonymous with small scale breweries operating under the UK Progressive Beer Duty threshold of 5,000 hls. The most common product is cask conditioned bitter. Breweries are often described by their production capacity or brew length, mostly ranging from 2 to 20 bbls (a brewer's barrel or bbl is 26 imperial gallons).

In the US, the American Brewers Association defines a "craft brewery" as "small, independent and traditional", and gives a production size of less than 6,000,000 US beer barrels (700,000,000 L) a year and can not be more than 24% owned by another alcoholic beverage company that is not itself a craft brewery (This means Goose Island and other breweries like it are no longer craft breweries due to ownership by Miller-Coors or AnheuserBush-Inbev),[2] further grouping them as microbrewery: annual production less than 15,000 US beer barrels (1,800,000 L); A "brewpub" brews and sells beer on the premises. A brewpub may also be known as a microbrewery if production has a significant distribution beyond the premises - the American Brewers Association use a fixed 75% of production to determine if a company is a microbrewery.;[3] regional craft brewery: at least 50% of its volume is all malt beers.[4] A regional brewery has annual production between 15,000 US beer barrels (1,800,000 L) and 2,000,000 US beer barrels (230,000,000 L) per year. In order to be classified as a "regional craft brewery" by the brewers association, a brewery must possess "either an all-malt flagship or [have] at least 50% of its volume in either all-malt beers or in beers which use adjuncts to enhance rather than lighten flavor."[3] Of the 1,759 breweries in America, only 43 are not defined as craft brewers, and 100 not defined as either a micro or brewpub.[5]

So any beer that is not in those categories.

American Lager

Miller Genuine Draft
Coors Banquet (tied for first, actually, and despite the differences. It's a mood thing)
Budweiser (the King of Beers variety)

American Lite Lager

Miller Light

Others

Budweiser American Ale
Plank Road Icehouse
Shock Top Raspberry Wheat (If you want a candy sweet but not sugar cake icing fruit wheat, here it is)
Guinness Extra Stout (My introduction to Stouts)

Walgreens Big Flats. $2.99 for sixer. Drink ice cold. Refreshing.

jww9618 said:
Since when is Shiner a macro brewery?

From Wikipedia, citing the Brewers' Association 2011 report: "As of 2011, it was the fourth-largest craft brewery and tenth-largest overall brewery in the United States."

I'm not sure if that stat makes me wrong or right....

If I'm wrong, I withdraw my endorsment.

From Wikipedia, citing the Brewers' Association 2011 report: "As of 2011, it was the fourth-largest craft brewery and tenth-largest overall brewery in the United States."

I'm not sure if that stat makes me wrong or right....

If I'm wrong, I withdraw my endorsment.

Wow I had no idea Shiner was that big. I guess I view them as a smallish brewery that only distributes in Texas. Obviously I'm mistaken.

I had to look up Shiner myself. Their beer gets around.

From their virtual tour

With nearly 5,500 gallons of beer brewed every day, we gotta keep it moving to all those Shiner fans. Our goal is to get every bottle, can and keg shipped while the beer is at its peak of freshness. And, even though we do our best to keep up, we just can’t drink it all ourselves, so we send out approximately 8,000 cases and 500 kegs a day.

So, depending on how they mean it, I figure 64,758 to 432,701 barrels. The big difference is because I don't how that 5,500 gallons made a day fits in with the 8,000 cases and 500 kegs a day.

Either way, it's not over 6 million barrels a year. A barrel of beer is 31 gallons, in the US. A keg is 15 1/2 gallons.

But then I found this,

From Wise Geek
Even though it sounds like a miniature beer, a microbrew is actually a beer brewed in a small commercial brewery. In the U.S., a microbrew is a beer produced at a microbrewery that brews no more than 15,000 barrels of beer per year. Brewed and distributed on a regional basis, some microbrews are also known as craft beers.

So, 15,000 or 6 million? Wise Geek doesn't give citations and they lump micro and craft together in a fuzzy way.

I'll throw in PBR as best taste for a PYB.
Yuengling is my go to for cheap beer a nicer place.
Miller Light has the best taste and ABV to calories.

Is Yuengling considered macro? I find it easier to get Bells...but then I live. In Michigan where Yuengling doesn't distribute. If it is I would count it as my favorite along with Guinness, which actually is one of the lowest calorie beers.

So, 15,000 or 6 million? Wise Geek doesn't give citations and they lump micro and craft together in a fuzzy way.

I think the linguistics are struggling to accommodate the boom in "good beer". Many of the more successful brewers have expanded their production beyond the traditionally held limits of 'microbrew'. While they certainly aren't on the level of corporations traditionally held as 'macro' or 'mega', they are also, at this point, equally unsuited to the 'micro' tag.

That being said, to contribute my 2 cents to the discussion, Yuengling is my go-to. Failing that, in the absence of any sort of 'craft beer', things get weird...PBR, Icehouse, etc.

roymullins said:

Definitely not a beer snob, but i have never gotten this one. It wrecks my stomach and tastes like skunk, but a lot of homebrewers seem to appreciate it. I'd rather have a strohs if given the choice.

I may be wrong, but I think the limit for a "microbrewery" is 15k bbl. Between that and 6 million bbl is considered a "regional craft brewery". The upper limit was 2 million, but Boston Brewing Company (Samuel Adams) wanted to expand production and stay within the realms of a "craft brewery". They lobbied the Brewer's Association to change their definition...by 3x the previous definition. Obviously, if they were considered "macro", it would hurt their image. I'm really drawing on memory now, but I believe after 2 million bbl, all bbl are taxed at the higher rate, rather than only those between 15k and 2 million bbl. If a brewery wants to make make more than 2 million, they have to make a leap over that line. This is due to the increased taxes between 1,999,999 bbl and and 2 million bbl being somewhere around $600k.

Once again, that was all from memory and may be slightly off. I can see both sides of the argument, but I was personally kind of pissed about the definition change.

My favorite macro: many of Goose Island's offerings.

Back