Pitching rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrux

Reaction score
Planing a high gravity ale OG 1.087. Mr malty says need 325 billion cells or 1.6 packs US-05 dry yeast. Is it better to make a starter or just pitch 2 packs of yeast? Also would you pitch the full 2 packs or pitch 1 and a half like malty says. If pitching the 1.5 - 1.6 packs like suggested, can you save the .5 pack for a future batch or do you just throw out the remainder? If you think the starter is the way to go, I do have a stir plate. Thanks

Throw away yeast? That'd be yeast abuse! ;)

Dry yeast have a much higher cell count than liquid which is why liquid yeast are used in starters, and from the discussions I've had and literature read, starters are not necessary or desired for dry yeast. Mr. Malty is pretty highly thought of so go with the recommended 1.5 packs and save the .5 for another time. just my 2cents.

Throw away yeast? That'd be yeast abuse! ;)

Dry yeast have a much higher cell count than liquid which is why liquid yeast are used in starters, and from the discussions I've had and literature read, starters are not necessary or desired for dry yeast. Mr. Malty is pretty highly thought of so go with the recommended 1.5 packs and save the .5 for another time. just my 2cents.

again man, i agree with ya, Dan. no need (and maybe not a good idea) to make starters for dry. save the other half pack, if for nothing else you can use it in a boil as nutrient. yeast are cannibals, you know! :mug:

again man, i agree with ya, Dan. no need (and maybe not a good idea) to make starters for dry. save the other half pack, if for nothing else you can use it in a boil as nutrient. yeast are cannibals, you know! :mug:

Have you ever heard of using bread yeast as a nutrient? I read it somewhere before but don't know where or why it's used. Maybe has something to do with the nutrients added to the bread yeast in making of it IDK. I'm pretty sure I read you throw it in with 15 minutes or so left in the boil. Ring a bell NB?

Latest posts

Back