American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the biggest problem with this brew is that it is just so damned good. I swore off weeknight drinking on doctor's orders, but tried just one, and just like the old Frito Lay potato chip ads, "you can't eat (drink) just one." I just poured number 3 after three weeks in the bottle and the aroma, taste, creamy head, color; well, as perfect an IPA as I have ever had. Thanks, Yooper!
:mug:

pint of DFH.jpg

boy I just went and priced out the extract recipe from my LHBS website...gonna be a price batch 5gal extract/~43.20 with some hops left over.

boy I just went and priced out the extract recipe from my LHBS website...gonna be a price batch 5gal extract/~43.20 with some hops left over.

Precisely why I just went to All-Grain.

With Bulk Grains and Hops, and reused US-05 yeast. I estimate the cost of this batch around 13-15 dollars!

Precisely why I just went to All-Grain.

With Bulk Grains and Hops, and reused US-05 yeast. I estimate the cost of this batch around 13-15 dollars!

wow, really? I just paid close to 40 shipped for my ingredients.

speaking of which, my order shipped...so i'll be making it with 8oz of maris otter malt instead of the recipe's 6oz

wow, really? I just paid close to 40 shipped for my ingredients.

speaking of which, my order shipped...so i'll be making it with 8oz of maris otter malt instead of the recipe's 6oz

It's cheap for me, too. I buy those hops by the pound, reuse yeast, and buy my grain in buk. My cost for a batch of this (5 gallon size) is about $12.

Extract is expensive, and hops can be expensive, too, but this recipe is worth it!

The majority of the grain bill is 2-row, which I can get a 55lb bag for $35. Hops I buy by the pound for about 10$/pound. Re-used US-05. Plus I had leftover buscuit malt.

It's cheap.

hmmm, guess this means i need to find somewhere in the house to store bulk grain ;)

haha same here, next batch i'm going to attempt a partial mash for the next few batches.....

Then hopefully I will have acquired enough equipment for 10 gal ALL Grain Batches.

I am brewing my first ever batch on Saturday. After that batch, I will be trying this one since DFH 60 min is my favorite off the shelf beer!

hmmm....was just at Midwest today and they didn't know when it was coming...I may have to go smack someone down there this weekend. This brew was good with a different yeast, but I have yet to be able to recreate the "great" beer this was the first time I made it with pacman(and I'm too lazy to harvest yeast from the bottles). I will however be picking up several packs of these to stick in the fridge as soon as they are available here, or I may be ordering some from austin :D

Just took a hydro sample after 1 week and it's down to 1.010 already! Go US-05.
Tasted like pure grapefruit juice.. I'm really hoping this will mellow!

I am hoping to get some feedback from those of you who did the extract version of this recipe. How did it turn out? How do you convert the AG recipe to extract?

my brewday is on hold, i've been borrowing a chiller from a friend and he wants it back now. How dare he? ;)

I am hoping to get some feedback from those of you who did the extract version of this recipe. How did it turn out? How do you convert the AG recipe to extract?

Turned out fantastic!!!

You could refer to the first page of this thread for both the AG and Extract versions.

I'm hoping for a little advice on this recipe. I just transferred my DFH to secondary after 36 days in the primary and the FG is 1.028! It smells awesome, tastes good - but a tad sweet. Not as dry as I was expecting. I am also concerned about bottle carbing as it looks like the yeast have stalled out.

So details:
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.028
Primary: 36 days total. About 3 weeks in a swamp cooler at 60-65 F. Then sat the rest of the time at room temperature.
Yeast: Pacman cultured a bottle from Rogue Chocolate stout. I had about 0.75 to 1 liter starter that was at high krausen when I pitched.

Also, I noticed I have an extra layer in my trub. I normally have yeast on top of hop sludge. This time I have something browny (perhaps krausen?) on top of yeast on top of hop sludge. Anyone have any ideas as to what that could be, I have pictures if that will help.

I guess the bottle yeast wasn't feeling up to attenuating fully on such a big beer. So I was going to dry hop today now I'm unsure. Would you guys recommend pitch in some S-05 to dry it out and ensure I have some active yeast for bottle carbing?

Also the airlock seems to be bubbling again after the transfer to secondary. Perhaps this fermentation is still going?

I'm hoping for a little advice on this recipe. I just transferred my DFH to secondary after 36 days in the primary and the FG is 1.028! It smells awesome, tastes good - but a tad sweet. Not as dry as I was expecting. I am also concerned about bottle carbing as it looks like the yeast have stalled out.

So details:
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.028
Primary: 36 days total. About 3 weeks in a swamp cooler at 60-65 F. Then sat the rest of the time at room temperature.
Yeast: Pacman cultured a bottle from Rogue Chocolate stout. I had about 0.75 to 1 liter starter that was at high krausen when I pitched.

Also, I noticed I have an extra layer in my trub. I normally have yeast on top of hop sludge. This time I have something browny (perhaps krausen?) on top of yeast on top of hop sludge. Anyone have any ideas as to what that could be, I have pictures if that will help.

I guess the bottle yeast wasn't feeling up to attenuating fully on such a big beer. So I was going to dry hop today now I'm unsure. Would you guys recommend pitch in some S-05 to dry it out and ensure I have some active yeast for bottle carbing?

Also the airlock seems to be bubbling again after the transfer to secondary. Perhaps this fermentation is still going?

I wouldn't be satisfied with an OG of 1.028. That's way too high. Now that it's going again, check the SG in two days. If it's the same, you'll need to do something about it. If it's dropping, hopefully it'll drop quite a bit.

I wouldn't be satisfied with an OG of 1.028. That's way too high. Now that it's going again, check the SG in two days. If it's the same, you'll need to do something about it. If it's dropping, hopefully it'll drop quite a bit.

Thanks Yoop. If there is no change in a few days do you figure a single pack of S-05 would be good enough to take it down? Or should I make a starter with something to tolerate the alcohol levels? Not sure I would trust a starter from the same pacman yeast I cultured.

I think you'd be fine with some s05. it's well within the alcohol levels of the yeast. s05 took mine down to 1013 IIRC.

I cracked open a bottle really early (1 week in) just to see how the flavors are developing. The nelson sauvin I dry hopped with seems to fit really well with the simcoe/amarillo! Good stuff!

Ok... I just finished reading all 71 pages. My brain is numb, but I have a decent idea what is going on.

This will be my first attempt at AG, so please bear with me. I saw very few mash schedules througout the thread (may have missed some):
70 min @ 168;
60 min @ 150; and
60 min (I guess) @ 154

what is the general consensus for most folks? What did you do?

Thanks for the help!

Ok... I just finished reading all 71 pages. My brain is numb, but I have a decent idea what is going on.

This will be my first attempt at AG, so please bear with me. I saw very few mash schedules througout the thread (may have missed some):
70 min @ 168;
60 min @ 150; and
60 min (I guess) @ 154

what is the general consensus for most folks? What did you do?

Thanks for the help!

You don't want to mash this beer above 154.

You don't ever want to mash above 160, ever, since higher temperatures denature the enzymes you need to convert the malt. But for this beer, a mash temperature of 152-154 would be fine. An hour will be long enough for conversion.

You don't want to mash this beer above 154.

You don't ever want to mash above 160, ever, since higher temperatures denature the enzymes you need to convert the malt. But for this beer, a mash temperature of 152-154 would be fine. An hour will be long enough for conversion.

Excellent. Thank you. I can't promise there won't be more basic questions.

I've brewed a few batches of this. I tend to mash it a little on the low side and go 75 minutes. To me, DFH 60 tastes a little on the dry side and I like it that way.

Is there a vendor anyone would recommend for getting ALL the ingredients required to make this recipe? My LHBS is about an hour from me so I will probably just order everything if I can find a place that has everything

Wow, just wow.

This was my first and only AG batch to date, and I just tasted my first bottle after 1 week. It's carbonated but has very little head, which will come with time. It is absolutely fantastic, and by far the best beer I have brewed to date! I actually think it might taste better than the original, certainly fresher.

I've got a nice buzz too.. this is a reasonably big beer!

Thanks so much for the recipe Yooper, please send my fan club membership!

Well it's been 5 days and the gravity dropped from 1.028 to 1.024. I'm gonna hit it with S05 and let it sit for another week!

just got the bits for this...

I looked at the first post from years ago and just got the Marris with 2 row.. No Pacman and went with WLP 001 California..

It will be beer, I am sure of that.

just got the bits for this...

I looked at the first post from years ago and just got the Marris with 2 row.. No Pacman and went with WLP 001 California..

It will be beer, I am sure of that.

It will be good. I've brewed this a few times with other yeasts since pacman wasn't available and they were all good. However, the batch I brewed with the pacman was fan-friggin-tastic!!!! I have yet to determine if it was really the yeast or some other fluke of brewing that made that batch so damn good, but the second the LHBS gets pacman in again, I will be attempting this again :D

Just bought the ingredients for this beer from Brewmasters Warehouse. They had Pacmans yeast cheaper than anyone else I could find. I think that they are my new favorite place to buy home brew ingredients.
I am very excited about brewing this beer from all of the other posts that I have read.:ban:

So I finally got myself Beersmith and am playing around with this recipe! Take it easy on me though, I'm new to it and this may be a dumb question....

I am planning on making the extract version of this, so I plugged all the ingredients from Yoopers recipe. Easy enough. Under the beer profile, where it tells me what my brews are going to turn into everything looks right... except the IBUs. With the exact same ingredients, and the 2.5 gallon boil, I am showing 157.4. Seems like more than a few points off. I love me some hops, but even that may be a little high for me...

Can anyone out there shed some light on what I am doing wrong?

I just brewed up the extract version of this, it's cooling right now.

I goofed and instead of adding half the warrior hops at 60 minutes and then the remainder of warrior continuously until 35 minutes, I added all the warrior.
Is my batch ruined? Am I at risk for infections? Will I get bottle bombs? Is my kegerator going to stop working?

just kidding!
Anyway, I cut out 5 minutes of the boil time for the warrior addition due to my mistake, thinking that maybe a full 60 minutes would be too long with that extra addition. the rest of the hops were added continuously as a mix. We'll just have to see how it turns out!

Getting ready to order the ingredients. Can someone double check my list for me?

Munton's Extra light LME (9 lbs)
Briess 2 row crystal/caramel 40 (1 lbs)
Wyeast 1764 pacman yeast
1 oz warrior hops
2 oz amarillo hops
2 oz simcoe hops

Am I forgetting something here or does this sound right?

Once again, I had another one last night and it is absolutely phenomenal, and this after only a week in bottle. Better than the original, or at least fresher. Glad I'm going away for a week, so it has some time to bottle condition. It aint gonna last long. Could see this being my house IPA, but it is pretty big at 7.8% and couldn't see myself killing too many of these in a night.

Back