When and how to add lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jt43

Reaction score
I have a kit to make a milk-chocolate stout but the instructions don't say how or when to add 1.21# of lactose. Any one out there know how and when to add lactose?

several choices:
during the boil -
in the primary - before or after fermentation is done
at bottling/kegging

I like to add it during the boil so i don't have to worry about introducing possible infections later on.

runningweird said:
several choices:
during the boil -
in the primary - before or after fermentation is done
at bottling/kegging

I like to add it during the boil so i don't have to worry about introducing possible infections later on.

Is there a ratio of lactose to water if you boil it and it before bottling?

jt43 said:
Is there a ratio of lactose to water if you boil it and it before bottling?

I may be wrong, but I don't think it really matters. When I add any sugar at bottling, I only add enough water to dissolve the sugars and a little extra to account for ten minutes of boil off. I don't think you need to be real precise here.

Yooper said:
1.21#? That's pretty precise. That seems odd, as my scale wouldn't go to the .001 measurement. Is it supposed to be grams, converted to pounds?

Your right its 1.20 lbs

jt43 said:
... but the instructions don't say how or when to add 1.21

[ame]http://youtu.be/mjCRUvX2D0E[/ame]

Sorry, I just had to....

Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

I brew a Sweet Stout and I put my lactose in at the beginning of the boil when I put my hops in. If I'm adding dextrin, then that goes in 5 minutes before the end of the boil.

Mouse

What I've done with a milk chocolate stout (using 1lb lactose and 8oz unsweetened cocoa powder) is combine the lactose and cocoa dry in a mixing bowl. Slowly add warmed water and stir until you get it a bit thinner than cake batter (so it pours easily).

I stirred the mix into the kettle at 10 min before flameout. It worked fine.

Latest posts

Back