Anyone save homebrews for vertical tastings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
I was bottling last night with a buddy and pulled out 4 beers that I've saved to do a vertical tasting. They were all the same recipe (amber ale), but brewed at different times. (First was an extract, the rest all-grain)

The results were pretty interesting. The extract was MUCH sweeter than the all-grain versions. The other 3 were pretty close. The last one was dry-hopped, so that one stood out, but I was impressed with how close they were.

Anyone else do this?

AgentHubcap said:
I was bottling last night with a buddy and pulled out 4 beers that I've saved to do a vertical tasting. They were all the same recipe (amber ale), but brewed at different times. (First was an extract, the rest all-grain)

The results were pretty interesting. The extract was MUCH sweeter than the all-grain versions. The other 3 were pretty close. The last one was dry-hopped, so that one stood out, but I was impressed with how close they were.

Anyone else do this?

I do this all the time for my "house" brews that are in regular rotation for the sole purpose of sampling my ability to stay consistent.

I also keep detailed notes of everything so for competition purposes I can always determine when each beer is at its prime for submission

I saved a pale ale from a batch before I discovered water chemistry and tasted it against a freshly completed, water-adjusted, temp-controlled, cold-crashed batch. The old one went straight down the sink soon after.

I haven't repeated a batch yet, but I do plan to compare new batches to previous batches. I'm planning on adjusting the recipes though, so it's more to see how the differences come across.

Latest posts

Back