LHBS out of everything!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrk305

Beer Dude in the Sunset
Reaction score
The owners of my LHBS have been on vacation and the store was out of everything. I guess I am doing my first partial mash. I am probably just making a mess because I couldn't get anything I wanted.

I got 4.5 pounds two row
1 pound medium crystal
4 pound can EDME Red Ale extract
simcoe & cascade hops

I should have just put off brewing this week.

If you are just missing a steeping grain or two, I've been successful steeping grains and adding the tea during the ferment.

I was going to brew tonight. I put the ingredients in tastybrew calculator, and it looks like it might actually work.

orfy said:
I think you can russle up a nice amber from that.
If you want a darker beer roast some of the grain yourself.

I am going to try it. I have never done a mini mash before. I always have done extracts with steeping grains. I have been reading here for a few months tho, so I pretty much know what I am doing. I just wish they had a little more two row. It was amazing how much they sold since I was in there last saturday.

Bottling the Hobgoblin tonight also! :mug:

Using tasty brews calculator I guess I got 78%.... gravity this morning after adding water up to 5 gall. is 1.052. I mashed stove top in my biggest SS pot and actually got the heat to hold at 151 for almost an hour. After that it dropped to 144 and I held it there for another hour.

I didn't want to mash that long, but I had two batches to bottle and I had new bottles that needed to be washed and santatized. I think 84 bottles were filled.

Sparge rinsed 3 times with 170 and ended up with too much water, so I did my boil in two pots.

I started about 9:00 oclock and finished about 1:30 a.m. My four year old little man let me sleep til 8:00. Feeling good now that I have had my coffee and looking at twelve cases bottled and three full fermentors.

Latest posts

Back