First GF Brew: Carrot-Rice-Quinoa. It's Drinkable!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbaker

Reaction score
Very excited. This was my 1st GF brew and only my 3rd brew period. I've been nervous all month about whether it would turn out and I'm pleased to say it's quite drinkable. It's very light, as is obvious by the picture but it has a nice flavor. Recipe was from the brooklyn brew shop book. I'm definitely going to rebrew this in a few days with a few tweaks. I think some more hops for aroma (might try my first dry hop) will make this taste like a very nice light IPA.

I've been very interested in GF beers that don't require sorghum extract and this is definitely hitting the spot. sweet potatoes are next on the list.

H8AuZl.jpg

The recipe is available on google books. Or rather the book is available and you can read the recipe there.

Did you make the 1 gallon batch or the 5 gallon batch? What adjustments would you make?

I personally would maybe add some citra hops, and something to bump up the body and abv. I'm not really sure what I would add to accomplish that without cara-pils or something like that. I'm still very new to homebrew and haven't been able to get into the science of it (due to prioritizing other schooling needs).

1. More hop flavor/aroma
2. body
3. abv

It's a very light beer, (like 2.5abv). I think the bitterness is pretty good but I definitely think adding some more late stage hops would make a great addition.

What kinds of things can you do to increase the body while staying GF?

I remember when I brewed my first girlfriend. She made a hell of a racket, shrieking and screaming about the hot mash water, but she quieted right down once the boil started........wait GF is girlfriend right :)

To increase body, I'd add maltodextrin. That's a quick fix, but usually I prefer to include some malted GF grains, which doing is a task in and of itself.

Personally though, I don't include malto because it makes me feel weird. I get some sort of reaction to it. But if you've never experienced problems with it, maltodextrin is an easy way to add body and mouthfeel.

Bananas can help also. I've found you have to add a whole lot to get any actual banana flavor (which I enjoy), but if you boil first, that boils off all the aromatics (bananas are mostly aromatics, not much actual flavor). I've also used maltodextrin and lactose as well.

Hmm...after some digging, it seems bananas contain some amylase, too...mostly alpha from the looks of it but I couldn't find any scientific papers. But apparently that's how bananas ripen--amylase!

Now I'm thinking--what if I mash some banana and sweet potato with some cooked grains, strain out the banana/sweet potato mix and cook them, then add back into the mash? Might be a good base for a gluten-free cream ale....

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into using bananas as I try to use whole ingredients whenever possible. If that doesn't turn out I'll give malto a try.

what if I mash some banana and sweet potato with some cooked grains, strain out the banana/sweet potato mix and cook them, then add back into the mash? Might be a good base for a gluten-free cream ale....

That sounds delicious. Who knows what it will actually turn out like...but it sure sounds good!:mug:

Reviving this.

I'm wanting to brew this for a co-worker with celiac. I bought the book & have the recipe.
Did you buy the kit from Brooklyn? Or just assemble the ingredients yourself? Did you follow the recipe instructions as they spell out in the book?

Thanks.

My take on this...I'm planning on doing it Sunday/Monday. A few questions regarding the cinnamon though. In the Brooklyn Brewshop book (which is really good!) they have a lot of recipes with spices and usually just throw those in during the boil, including cinnamon sticks. Should I do the same or do you think I should put it in the primary?

"Carrot Cake Ale"
3lbs carrots, peeled and grated
1.5lbs uncooked basmati rice
2 1/4 lbs red quinoa
2 lbs honey

mash grains and veggies, sparge, then boil
.3 oz Columbus (full boil)
1.5 oz Cascade hops (divided into 1/5th and added every 15 minutes)
1/2 cup of raisins (full boil)
4 oz maltodextrine
2lb honey at flameout
cinnamon stick--when?

some kind of yeast.

To increase body, I'd add maltodextrin. That's a quick fix, but usually I prefer to include some malted GF grains, which doing is a task in and of itself.

This could be problematic with some folks who have celiac. I know a girl that has pretty severe celiac, and can't eat potato chips because most brands use maltodextrin.

That's surprising since maltodextrin is generally gluten free, particularly when it's being sourced from corn. (Always chances of cross contamination and in Europe it can be sourced from wheat.)

My take on this...I'm planning on doing it Sunday/Monday. A few questions regarding the cinnamon though. In the Brooklyn Brewshop book (which is really good!) they have a lot of recipes with spices and usually just throw those in during the boil, including cinnamon sticks. Should I do the same or do you think I should put it in the primary?

"Carrot Cake Ale"
3lbs carrots, peeled and grated
1.5lbs uncooked basmati rice
2 1/4 lbs red quinoa
2 lbs honey

mash grains and veggies, sparge, then boil
.3 oz Columbus (full boil)
1.5 oz Cascade hops (divided into 1/5th and added every 15 minutes)
1/2 cup of raisins (full boil)
4 oz maltodextrine
2lb honey at flameout
cinnamon stick--when?

some kind of yeast.

Did you create this recipe? What size batch? The book's recipe is a bit different.

That's surprising since maltodextrin is generally gluten free, particularly when it's being sourced from corn. (Always chances of cross contamination and in Europe it can be sourced from wheat.)

Maybe something else in it than gluten too then. Celiac can cause a number food sensitivities in addtion to gluten intolerance.

Back