2 months old and already very sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywatchthis

Reaction score
I brewed a pale(ish) sour with a combo of base malts (golden promise, vienna and munich). I transferred it today for the first time since brew day, and it already is tasting VERY sour...like it might be done soon. The OG is down to 1.007. I know I need to let it sit another month and get another gravity reading, but should I be thinking about moving on to the next stage (bottling it or adding fruit) if the gravity is stable?

I believe this depends on what you used to sour. If you used lactobacillus, it may be done. If you pitched pedio and brett, they can be super attenuative and it may get a lot lower. At any rate, they might take a while (like 1 year) for the flavors to more fully develop.

What were the yeast strains you used?

It sounds like its almost there but it might take months to attenuate another 3 points or so. I did a Belgian Golden wort with Bugfarm 5 and after 2 months it was at 1.009 and was awesomely (sp?) sour. That was about 3 months ago and I haven't taken another reading since. I probably will next month and see where it's at after 6 months.

I brewed a pale(ish) sour with a combo of base malts (golden promise, vienna and munich). I transferred it today for the first time since brew day, and it already is tasting VERY sour...like it might be done soon. The OG is down to 1.007. I know I need to let it sit another month and get another gravity reading, but should I be thinking about moving on to the next stage (bottling it or adding fruit) if the gravity is stable?

What did you pitch with? Lacto will finish that fast easily, but brett and pedio there is no way.

Back