Sparge Speed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyMon

Reaction score
I just finished my second AG batch brew day this past weekend. I am concerned I may be doing my runoff when sparging too fast. The first batch turned out tasting like watered down beer. The latest batch only got an OG of 1.032. I don't know what it was supposed to be (Midwest supplies red lager) but I would have guessed it would have been higher.

I'm starting to think that I may be sparging too fast and getting low efficiency as a result. I'm searching for advice. I have been batch sparging. Please help.

I usually do a quart a minute. I have had great results using this method

Hi Eric,
The Red Lager all-grain kit has a little over 10lbs. of grain and with 100% efficiency would yield a gravity of about 1.067 in 5.5gals. of wort. If you got a reading of 1.032 then your extraction or efficiency is only 50%. I don't know what Western expects but I would guess around 75% for an o.g. in 5.5gals of 1.050
I fly sparge myself but from what I know based on fellow brewers who batch sparge, they run off as fast as they can. Then, replace the run off with an additional charge of hot liquor, stir, rest and then run that off quickly also. If this is what you're doing, then there may be other factors effecting your low efficiency. Consider the mash temp. thickness and mash time and mash ph. The crush of the grain is another major factor. I crush mine severely and get about a 90% eff. using a 45 min. fly sparge. Hope this is helpful.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

First off, don't sweat it. Your results sound exactly like mine when I started AG. I was also worried about sparge speed and a lot of other things back then. I have found that sparge speed is a very minor factor in my efficiency if at all. There is a good sticky on this already. The information there is great and I suggest you read it:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/maximizing-efficiency-when-batch-sparging-77125/

A few minor tweaks helped me go from 50% to 72-74% efficiency (where I'm currently at.)

Measure water volumes accurately
When I first started AG I didn't have a way to measure more than 2 quarts at a time. I guessed at water volumes in the tun and kettle. Turns out I was using way too much water, thus diluting my wort. My efficiency was better than I thought, I was just making a bunch of weak beer. :)

Get a good grind on your grain
Most folks will say this is _the_ most important factor when improving efficiency. I found that accurately measuring my water helped more, but that's probably because the grind from my LHBS wasn't too bad to begin with. I did end up buying my own mill and get a good -- but more important: consistent -- crush now.

Sparge in two batches
I believe Bobby_M has a post on here about batch sparging in 2 batches. Hopefully someone else can help with a link. The basic point is if you have 4 gallons to sparge with, do 2 sparges with 2 gallons each. The idea being that you'll rinse more sugars off the grains that way. I haven't done extensive testing on this, because I implemented a number of changes to my process and my efficiency numbers started getting good so I kept them all.

Practice
When you first start out, there is a lot going on in an AG brew day. After a while, you get comfortable with the process and are able to focus on smaller details and improve your process. I guarantee that if you follow the guidelines in the sticky post and brew 2-3 more batches your efficiency will be up and you'll be happy with your results.

One other note that I want to put in here for completeness is regarding your brewing water. I started looking into the water chemistry side of AG brewing and found that Calcium is a critical mineral needed during the mash. The water reports from my municipal water supply show that my water is very poor in calcium. I have since started supplementing my mash water with CaCl2 to provide the calcium level needed for proper enzyme activity during the mash. Of course, I know I'm probably an outlier here and most people won't need to do this.

I do a double batch. After draining my mash tun, I add half the sparge water at about 190 to get up to 168. Stir, rest 15, vorlauf, then drain over 20 min or so. I also mash for 90 minutes because I was having efficiency issues.

Turns out I was calculating efficiency incorrectly. Now I'm up at 85% efficiency, and keep overshooting my OG. Yet more experimenting to do.

I just finished my second AG batch brew day this past weekend. I am concerned I may be doing my runoff when sparging too fast. The first batch turned out tasting like watered down beer. The latest batch only got an OG of 1.032. I don't know what it was supposed to be (Midwest supplies red lager) but I would have guessed it would have been higher.

I'm starting to think that I may be sparging too fast and getting low efficiency as a result. I'm searching for advice. I have been batch sparging. Please help.

SPeed doesn't matter. I'd recommend that you describe your process in great detail because people will often say "I batch sparged" and it turns out that they are not really performing optimal steps.

I know that I am leaving a lot of sweet wort in my tun because of my configuration. The thought hit me today that maybe it isn't just a lot of wort, but maybe the best of the wort. Is that possible? I'm thinking about reconfiguring if the feedback I get supports my theory.

Don't forget that leaving wort in the tun lowers efficiency. Even though you converted the starch to sugar, you don't get the points until they make it into the fermenter. I don't think it's realistic that you're leaving the "best" wort in there. That would be the case if you did not sparge at all, but during sparging the gravity should even out throughout the tun. So after 2 batch sparges, you'll have left the lowest gravity wort in the tun. You're still losing efficiency points, but not the big ones like the first runnings. Still, if you can easily mod your tun to get more wort into the kettle, it will help.

I run my water (sparge and first runnings) through 3 times, but I find that I have been doing it quicker than I used to. I got my highest efficiency yet last batch. But it was probably because I mashed for an additional 15 minutes.

You could try a fly sparge. I got around 75% efficiency the first time I did. Doesn't take any special equipment, but a refrac helps tell you when to stop without wasting any wort. Otherwise, just restrict your drain-cock until you have a steady trickle, then observe how fast it's draining and adjust so that you will have your projected volume in 45 min. or an hour. Pour sparge water at a rate that just keeps your grain bed covered, stirring all but the bottom few inches occasionally to prevent channeling. If you have a refractometer, just collect until the gravity drops under 1.010. I don't do it, but if your set-up allows you can have the pot heating while you sparge to cut boil time down.

You could try a fly sparge. I got around 75% efficiency the first time I did. Doesn't take any special equipment, but a refrac helps tell you when to stop without wasting any wort. Otherwise, just restrict your drain-cock until you have a steady trickle, then observe how fast it's draining and adjust so that you will have your projected volume in 45 min. or an hour. Pour sparge water at a rate that just keeps your grain bed covered, stirring all but the bottom few inches occasionally to prevent channeling. If you have a refractometer, just collect until the gravity drops under 1.010. I don't do it, but if your set-up allows you can have the pot heating while you sparge to cut boil time down.

You fly sparge over the course of 45 minutes? Wow, I didn't realize it takes quite that long. I assumed as fast as the wort ran out, you can run the water in that fast until your sparge volume is done and voila. Shows what I know.

You could try a fly sparge. ...Doesn't take any special equipment,

Generally disagree. Fly sparging with a small stainless braid is much less efficient than batch sparging as it does encourage channeling. I wouldn't want to stir the mash more than the top inch or so in the middle of a fly sparge. I guess everyone has their own preferred methods though.

Again, I think the OP should explain what HE thinks a batch sparge process is. I find that many people read and read and advice about proper technique gets blurred between fly, batch, hybrid and no sparge BIAB methods.

You fly sparge over the course of 45 minutes? Wow, I didn't realize it takes quite that long. I assumed as fast as the wort ran out, you can run the water in that fast until your sparge volume is done and voila. Shows what I know.

I don't know if that much time is necessary - I do it as much as anything in order to keep splashing to a minimum to avoid oxidation. Again, don't really know if that is a serious concern - do you get good efficiency with a quick sparge?

First off, don't sweat it. Your results sound exactly like mine when I started AG. I was also worried about sparge speed and a lot of other things back then. I have found that sparge speed is a very minor factor in my efficiency if at all. There is a good sticky on this already. The information there is great and I suggest you read it:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/maximizing-efficiency-when-batch-sparging-77125/

A few minor tweaks helped me go from 50% to 72-74% efficiency (where I'm currently at.)

Measure water volumes accurately
When I first started AG I didn't have a way to measure more than 2 quarts at a time. I guessed at water volumes in the tun and kettle. Turns out I was using way too much water, thus diluting my wort. My efficiency was better than I thought, I was just making a bunch of weak beer. :)

Get a good grind on your grain
Most folks will say this is _the_ most important factor when improving efficiency. I found that accurately measuring my water helped more, but that's probably because the grind from my LHBS wasn't too bad to begin with. I did end up buying my own mill and get a good -- but more important: consistent -- crush now.

Sparge in two batches
I believe Bobby_M has a post on here about batch sparging in 2 batches. Hopefully someone else can help with a link. The basic point is if you have 4 gallons to sparge with, do 2 sparges with 2 gallons each. The idea being that you'll rinse more sugars off the grains that way. I haven't done extensive testing on this, because I implemented a number of changes to my process and my efficiency numbers started getting good so I kept them all.

Practice
When you first start out, there is a lot going on in an AG brew day. After a while, you get comfortable with the process and are able to focus on smaller details and improve your process. I guarantee that if you follow the guidelines in the sticky post and brew 2-3 more batches your efficiency will be up and you'll be happy with your results.

One other note that I want to put in here for completeness is regarding your brewing water. I started looking into the water chemistry side of AG brewing and found that Calcium is a critical mineral needed during the mash. The water reports from my municipal water supply show that my water is very poor in calcium. I have since started supplementing my mash water with CaCl2 to provide the calcium level needed for proper enzyme activity during the mash. Of course, I know I'm probably an outlier here and most people won't need to do this.

Pretty much this... I just open the valve about half way and let 'er run. I get in the upper 70's usually for efficiency.

Generally disagree. Fly sparging with a small stainless braid is much less efficient than batch sparging as it does encourage channeling. I wouldn't want to stir the mash more than the top inch or so in the middle of a fly sparge. I guess everyone has their own preferred methods though.

Again, I think the OP should explain what HE thinks a batch sparge process is. I find that many people read and read and advice about proper technique gets blurred between fly, batch, hybrid and no sparge BIAB methods.

It can't really be MUCH less efficient - I've hit 80% plus regularly. I would like to use something that picks up wort across a broader area though. You're right about being careful in stirring - I haven't noticed that the runoff get's cloudy, so I figure I'm okay.

It looks like there's some confusion between batch and fly sparging going on here. My understanding is that when you're fly sparging, you need to run it at a trickle and it can take 45 minutes to over an hour. When you're batch sparging, you can drain the mash tun as fast as it will drain. With a batch sparge (this is what I do) you drain the first runnings, close the valve, pour in sparge water and stir, wait about 10 minutes, then drain. Then repeat if you double-batch sparge.
Draining slowly keeps the grain from channelling, but you don't care about channeling in a batch sparge. The sparge water soaks up all the sugars it's going to during the 10 minute rest, and once that's done you can drain it as fast as your valve will let you.

I don't know if that much time is necessary - I do it as much as anything in order to keep splashing to a minimum to avoid oxidation. Again, don't really know if that is a serious concern - do you get good efficiency with a quick sparge?

I'm BIAB right now until I get a larger HLT. Currently only have one 30qt. pot and a 6g. MLT, so I have to use the pot for BK and dunk sparge. I'm interested in fly-sparge, though. Especially if it can be setup to be mostly unattended or just monitored occasionally.

It looks like there's some confusion between batch and fly sparging going on here. My understanding is that when you're fly sparging, you need to run it at a trickle and it can take 45 minutes to over an hour. When you're batch sparging, you can drain the mash tun as fast as it will drain. With a batch sparge (this is what I do) you drain the first runnings, close the valve, pour in sparge water and stir, wait about 10 minutes, then drain. Then repeat if you double-batch sparge.
Draining slowly keeps the grain from channelling, but you don't care about channeling in a batch sparge. The sparge water soaks up all the sugars it's going to during the 10 minute rest, and once that's done you can drain it as fast as your valve will let you.

See and my buddy batch sparges but doesn't really let it rest, just stirs, vorlaufs twice or three times, then opens her up.

I would like to use something that picks up wort across a broader area though.
Can't think of his name, but he has a T-fitting with street elbows on either side going to hose-braid that's looped and connected to both sides. Seems like a nice solution to channeling. Oh, and he has a SS spring inside the braid to keep it from collapsing.

Okay, I've been asked twice so I will gladly oblige. After all, I'm seeking all of your help. I mash my grains in a converted cooler MLT at 152 for 60 minutes, then drain to BK (aluminum turkey fryer). Then drain my HLT into MLT, stir and let rest at 170 for 20 minutes before draining again into BK.

Is this not batch sparging?

Is the wort I'm leaving in the bottom of the MLT what I hear referred to as "dead space"? And am I crazy to think that the heavier sugars may be getting left behind in that space?

This _is_ batch sparging. More accurately, it's single batch sparging. The wort left in the MLT is actually _filling_ the dead space, but the volumes are the same, so you have the right concept there.

I still stand by what I said before. Double check your volumes, check your crush and double batch sparge. Focus on a few key areas and go through the process a couple more times and you'll see your efficiency go up.

Imrook, I may try to further crush my next attempt. Can you explain a double batch sparge and the benefits of doing so?

Back