5 gallon All Grain boil volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hough77

Reaction score
Is there a way to brew a 5 gallon All G batch without doing a full boil? I have a 5g kettle, and a keggle but no way to chill the wort in a keggle yet. Still adding cold water jugs from the store or ice bath with the kettle.

These days, it's pretty difficult to buy the parts for an immersion chiller for much less than they cost pre-built. I was going to build one, but after I realized I was just going to break even (at best), I bought one pre-built. Copper is just too expensive.

I agree withe cost issue. I finally broke down and bought one. Almost the same cost as buying the parts; but you don't have to form it. I used to do a lot of chilling half batches and mixing with other pre boiled water that had cooled previously. I also have done the "over it for the night" method annd have yielded good results.

These days, it's pretty difficult to buy the parts for an immersion chiller for much less than they cost pre-built. I was going to build one, but after I realized I was just going to break even (at best), I bought one pre-built. Copper is just too expensive.

Not really. I found 50 feet of copper at my local plumbing dedicated shop for $50. I used 25 feet for a counterflow, and the leftover 25 feet for a prechiller. The other supplies costed me no more than $20. A counterflow and a prechiller for $70 is much less than paying $80 for just a counterflow from the LHBS.

You gotta shop around town for the cheapest prices, and if you really can't find any, just try ebay!

Soft Copper Tubing 3/8" x 25' Tube de cobre ouen cuivre | eBay

Not really. I found 50 feet of copper at my local plumbing dedicated shop for $50. I used 25 feet for a counterflow, and the leftover 25 feet for a prechiller. The other supplies costed me no more than $20. A counterflow and a prechiller for $70 is much less than paying $80 for just a counterflow from the LHBS.

You gotta shop around town for the cheapest prices, and if you really can't find any, just try ebay!

Soft Copper Tubing 3/8" x 25' Tube de cobre ouen cuivre | eBay

There's $31 for the copper alone. Throw in a few bucks for a brass fitting or two, some clamps, and a little bit of tubing, and it's right in the neighborhood of what I paid for mine from my LHBS.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to ask for the chiller for Christmas so it will be free. I dropped $70 on a 10g mash tun that I just built (cooler and parts) so I'm wanting to brew my first All Grain this week if possible, just seeing of I would have to go with a full boil or not. If it would not turn out right I can do a partial mash for now. Gotta keep the pipeline goin!

Just a quick update. I just added a few pictures of the prechiller in action. Using the ice bath to cool the incoming water makes a huge difference in cooldown times. Just make sure to start running water through the prechiller BEFORE putting it in the ice bath. The first run wasn't that great because the prechiller froze the water in the coil before it could exit. It took a long time to get the whole thing thawed out so I could start the cooldown.

http://www.olderascal.com/wortchiller

Back