Does CO2 go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periwinkle1239

Reaction score
My father in-law gave me 2 old CO2 tanks - one has a certification stamp of '80, the other '92. He used to home brew back in the day. There is still gas left in them. I'd like to use them up and then get them re-tested and re-filled. What do you think? Does CO2 go bad or expire? The tanks look to be in decent shape - no rust.

I'm pretty sure CO2 doesn't go bad. Tanks, otoh, obviously expire their certifications and need to be retested/recertified before anyone will fill them...

Cheers!

+1 CO2 is CO2, no issue there. But those tanks might be rusty. Gotta be careful with high pressure equipment.

I would take them to an experienced gas filling place before I even hooked them up. Just give them the story and ask them to check 'em out. That's just me.

I'm not sure how they treat the interior of the tanks, but I'd mostly be worried about internal corrosion. It's probably not a huge worry. I'd take them in to be hydrotested and refilled.

I know for a fact that around here no place will refill them if they are over 5 years old without pressure testing them first. It's a liablility/safety issue for most places. This of course costs extra and more time.

beerloaf

Use the tanks as they are until they are empty. Absolutely no problem doing that. CO² does not go 'bad'.

When the tanks are empty, have them refilled (they will have to recertified) or exchange them through a supplier. A lot of suppliers will swap them out for you.

Use the tanks as they are until they are empty. Absolutely no problem doing that. CO² does not go 'bad'.

When the tanks are empty, have them refilled (they will have to recertified) or exchange them through a supplier. A lot of suppliers will swap them out for you.

I did this, got an old tank from Father's friend and just used it as it was. It worked fine. However, after learning more about Co2 tanks and whatnot I would take it to be tested and refilled first before using it. Messing around with high pressure Co2 tanks that are that old can be dangerous.

It will cost you some money to get it hydro tested. Some places will just swap it with another one (foregoing the hydro test). I was advised by the place I get my Co2 filled to keep the old steel cylinder. He said they are better than the newer aluminum ones. So I don't go to a place that swaps them. Plus I also have a new aluminum one, so I don't want to swap that one either.

I know for a fact that around here no place will refill them if they are over 5 years old without pressure testing them first. It's a liablility/safety issue for most places. This of course costs extra and more time.

beerloaf

its more than a liability issue, its against the law to refill an out of date tank.

you can use up the CO2 and have the tanks hydro tested at any welding, scuba, or other industrial gas supply shop. its usually around $30-50 per tank to have the test done (in my experience).

Back