Doublewide IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Anyone seen a GOOD recipe that comes close to Boulevard's Double Wide? Can't get it here in La so I gotta figure out how to brew it!

Help, please!

The website lists the particulars as such:

OG: 1.076
FG: 1.010
SRM: 17
IBU: 71
ABV: 8.5
CO2: 3.3 vol

Malts:
Amber malt
Brown sugar
Cara 120
Cara 300
Dextrose
Pale malt

Hops:
Bravo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
CTZ

The CTZ is definitely the dry hop. I know a lot of local brewers who love, and have tried to clone, this. I'll see if I can get one of their recipes.

Cheers

Here you go. The brewer called it a "close but not perfect clone since I substituted chocolate malt for the cara 300". The only other note was that he mixed the Centennial and Cascade together and hopped one ounce of the mix at 15, 10, 5, and 0.
I didn't get a chance to try it, but I've had some of his other beers and they're pretty good. Plus, he seemed to like it. I'm going to give it a try when I get a chance to buy the specialty grains. HTH.

5.5 gallons

8# 2 row
3# amber
.25# chocolate
.25# cara 120

1 oz Bravo @ end of collection (FWH)
2# dextrose @ 15 min
.5# brown sugar @ 15 min
1 oz Centennial/Cascade @15
1 oz Centennial/Cascade @10
1 oz Centennial/Cascade @5
1 oz Centennial/Cascade @0
1 oz Columbus dry hop for 10 days
1 oz Columbus dry hop for 7 days

Mash @ 150*
Notty @66 degrees for 3 weeks

Ah, yes, the Single Wide. Besides Longhammer, it's one of SWMBO's faves, so I've made several clone attempts. This is my favorite of the clone recipes. I've made it three or four times and really like it. If you can't find the Bravo or Citra, I'd recommend using Summit as a replacement (which was actually one of the listed ingredients the first time I tried to clone it last spring). Also, based on the recommendation of the friend who gave me the Double Wide recipe, I'll probably mix the Cascade/Palisade/Centennial hops together and hop 1 oz each at 15, 10, and 5 the next time I make it.

Single Wide Clone

5.5 gallon
58 IBU
OG 1.056
FG 1.012

9# 2-row
1# munich
.5# amber
.5# wheat malt
.25# C50

.3125 oz (5 g) Bravo @ end of collection (FWH)
.3125 oz (5 g) Citra @ end of collection (FWH)
1 oz Palisades @15
1 oz Centennial @10
1 oz Cascade @5
1 oz Columbus dry hop for 7 days

Mash at 154*
60 minute boil
Notty @68

I brewed the Double Wide Recipe on here, but had a friend convert it to a LME recipe on BeerToolsPro.

Did 6.5 Extra Pale LME, 2.5 Amber LME. Steeped the chocolate and cara to get flavor and color. For the hop schedule I didn't choose between Centennial/Cascade I ended up buying both and using 1/2 ounce each at each interval.

Didn't move to secondary. Used whole leaf Columbus for the dry hop in the primary after the gravity slowed and hit 1.017.

OG=1.086 FG=1.015 So that was pretty much what I expected.

Poured a glass from the keg last night. Not fully carbed yet. But man is it hoppy, more than I remember. I love hoppy beers, I will seek out the highest IBU's I can and this one made me pucker a little. I have one bottle of real DWide left and I'm saving it for about 2 more weeks to really compare side by side.

Chinook is a bit too oily for me and have made a few IPA's with it, but can come off a bit pungent, maybe thats what did it?

Man, with that much chocolate/cara 300, cara 150, and amber, doesn't it come out dark brown? I know DWide is on the dark side for DIPA's, but are your batches coming out much darker?

deepcdan99 said:
Chinook is a bit too oily for me and have made a few IPA's with it, but can come off a bit pungent, maybe thats what did it?

Oops. Typo. Meant to say Cascade, I just edited up there. No Chinook used.

Color is pretty much spot on from what I could remember. It is darker for sure. I'll report back after the side by side with pics.

The website lists the particulars as such:

OG: 1.076
FG: 1.010
SRM: 17
IBU: 71
ABV: 8.5
CO2: 3.3 vol

Malts:
Amber malt
Brown sugar
Cara 120 <------EBC Value
Cara 300 <------EBC Value
Dextrose
Pale malt

Hops:
Bravo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
CTZ

Above info might alter the color a little.

In Lovibond terms, those equate to APPROXIMATELY 60 & 150 respectively.

Side by side tonight. Not even close. The homebrew is much darker and is much more pronounced on the hops.

Still very very drinkable.

image-1922943351.jpg

Latest posts

Back