big time keggle problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
well today i came home from work and thought hey lets do a dry run. so i filled up my keggle with 5gal of water and turned on my new burner. all seemed to be going good until i noticed some spot froming in the pot. well i payed it no mind and continued. well when i was emptying the pot i saw that the spot were forming rust. i dont know what to do or how to correct this. has anyone else had this happen to them? im guessing who ever was cleaning the welds went to deep. well all help would be great:confused:

Sure it's rust? Could be some slag or something burning off. Maybe the welds weren't cleaned well enough?

I wouldn't really expect spontaneous rusting, but the only welding I've done is on my Jeep...and I never boiled water in it afterwards, so my knowledge may not apply here :cross:

i guess ill try to clen it and see what happens i just dont think it would be good for the wort to have that in there. i touched it and it was orange...:drunk:

do you think it will come back the next time i boil? i guess im just wottied becasue i bought it recently and i didnt build it myself. well the money thing is also bugging me i payed someone so i didnt have to deal with it myself. well goes to show you, if you want it done right do it yourself.

If the BKF does not remove all the rust head to the paint store and look for wood bleach powder that is oxalic acid. Follow package directions for preperation of bleaching solution and apply to rusty areas to remove the free iron in the weld areas. This should remove surface deposits from carbon steel wire brushes, as that is most likely the problem.

ok ill try the bkf, however what casued this? like i said it looks like couple of scrapes from the grinder. well ill keep all the info in mind

If a grinder disk is used to grind carbon steel then used on stainless steel the carbon steel caught in the disk gets transfered to the stainless and starts rusting. Same thing happens with carbon steel wire brushes used on stainless steel, the carbon steel gets embedded in the surface material and rusts.

so this has happen to other people i take it? i was just taken back when i saw this and thought it was gonna be a pain to reoair. well ill try all that was recomended and boil some more water. do you think this can happen again?

Back