First batch blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i had a question about beer carbonationg in the bottles... I finished bottleing an oktoberfest about a month or so ago. like a first time fool I started with a lager and well i didn't know that i needed so much equipment. well my problem is that my bottles are just about done carbinating but i noticed some stuff settleing on the bottom of the botle. I opened up and beer and had some, taste seem alright for all the times that i thought that i messed up the brew. However, if i let the beer settle for a bit in the glass i get some stuff on te bottom. i was just wondering if this stuff is bad and i should get rid of the batch or its just nothing to be worryied about. i just don't need anyone getting sick off of my beer.

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

It's normal with homebrew. You can drink it, or pour in such a way that the sediment stays in the bottle.

Don't sweat it, just drink your creation man!

lostnfoam said:
Hello everyone, i had a question about beer carbonationg in the bottles... I finished bottleing an oktoberfest about a month or so ago. like a first time fool I started with a lager and well i didn't know that i needed so much equipment. well my problem is that my bottles are just about done carbinating but i noticed some stuff settleing on the bottom of the botle. I opened up and beer and had some, taste seem alright for all the times that i thought that i messed up the brew. However, if i let the beer settle for a bit in the glass i get some stuff on te bottom. i was just wondering if this stuff is bad and i should get rid of the batch or its just nothing to be worryied about. i just don't need anyone getting sick off of my beer.

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Two bits of advise that I have been told before :
If it doesn't kill you it will just make you stronger.
Don't let fear stop you.

..I shall now let people that know what they are talking about advise you :drunk:

When you bottle condition, the yeast continue to do their work, and then eventually settle on the bottom. It's just yeast. If you pour carefully, you can leave most of it in the bottle.

I have never used a secondary. There is always a reasonable amount of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I normally don't drink this bit by pouring into a glass big enough to hold the entire bottle (sometimes takes a BIG glass with the 800ml long necks) and stop the pour just before the sludge comes out.

YOUR BEER IS RUINED. AND IT IS LIKELY A HAZARD TO YOURSELF AND OTHERS!!!!

SEND IT TO ME IMMEDIATELY AND I WILL DISPOSE OF IT PROPERLY!!!!!! :tank:

PM me for my address and contact info. We MUST take care of this problem immediately!!!!

(j/k.. it's just the yeast and it's fine. I was surprised when I opened a 6 pack of Bell's from the brewery that all of their beers had sediment on the bottom. Bottle conditioning? At Bell's? Wow. I didn't know! It's not bad, just a little different. I hear that it's healthy for you and helps prevent hangovers.)

Thanks everyone for the news i feel a bit better now and well. now ill know more for the next batch im about 2 weeks from bottleing a night cap chery stout.

:mug:

That's the sign of a bottle conditioned Ale..... Top stuff.
Some lagers should be served with the yeast for taste.
Have you ever read the health benefits of brewers yeast extract, people pay a fortune for that stuff in pill format. You have yours in Pils format.

It makes ya balls big and strong.

ENJOY.

Many top quality micro-brews will have the same thing. If you poke around here a bit you will find threads on how to harvest and save the yeaests from those beers.

orfy said:
Have you ever read the health benefits of brewers yeast extract, people pay a fortune for that stuff in pill format. You have yours in Pils format.

It makes ya balls big and strong.

ENJOY.

I pour off the beer, leave the sediment in the bottle. The longer you bottle condition, the thicker the sediment is and the clearer the beer you pour off.

Most of my ales are pretty darn clear by the time I drink them. Good thing, because I sure don't want big and strong balls. Actually, I don't want small and weak ones either. No balls for me, thanks.

Lorena

Back