Elk Creek Brewpub, Millheim Pa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
Just went here for my first time Tuhrsday night while on my way to the mountains. Elk Creek is only 30 minutes west of State College, pa on Rt 45 in Millheim. Quite a neat Brewpub, had their sampler and most of the beers were decent but also average. The three that really stood out for me were Poe Valley Porter, Homegrown Hop and a Belgian Blonde. All three were excellent renditions of their style and tasted great. Will be a regular stop for me on my way to the Mountains.

I tried some of their stuff at the Selinsgrove BrewFest in the summer, but never been to the pub. If I recall correctly, they had a saison on tap at the Fest (probably a seasonal/fest special) that was real good IMO.

I've only been there once so far. I thought all of their beers were decent. I thought the porter was really pushing the porter/stout boundary. I liked it though, and their brown ale I thought was more of a brown porter, it definitely had (still has?) some roast character (I love a mild porter). I found their hoppy ales a bit harsh on the bitterness. I haven't talked to the brewer, but I'm supicious this is from the high carbonates in most of the water around here. Otto's the brew pub here in S. C. uses blends of RO water and tap water in different ratios depending on the style. After hearing that Otto's was doing this I started treating my water for carbonates and it has really made a difference.

Yeah the carbonates in the SC area and out that way are so high. A softener on tap water is a must otherwise you lose your elements, fixtures, etc.

Back