Commercial Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
So I haven't been able too keep up with my beer brewing, or not often as I'd like so I thought maybe something that is supposed to be aged a long time (like a mead) would be a good idea for me. But here's the thing, I've never had mead before, are there commercial brands out there? Would a normal liquor store stock them? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yes there are commercial meads available, most people argue that they are on whole not anywhere good as any homebrew though. I have only had Chaucer's and Oliver's. Chaucer's was ok, and the Oliver's was horridly reminiscent of bad medicine.

I have heard good things about Redstone and Rabbit's Foot. I just received my first bottle of Redstone via UPS today. Hoping its good, because with shipping, it wasn't cheap.

I've only heard positive things about Redstone. I thought Chaucer's was a poor mead. Taste was bland and it had a strange medicinal smell.

most other commercial meads fall short too IMO.

I am staring at my fresh Redstone Traditional right now. It recommends serving chilled, have you had it Malkore? And how do you like it?

If I had any bottled at the moment I would send you one, hmmm now I feel like im back on cigaraficianado.com, but alas I drank mine too fast, 8 gallons proved to not be enough between myself, and friends...

We are pretty lucky to have the
Meadery of the Rockies
Located in Palisade Colorado.
They make everything from Dessert sweet to Desert dry meads and they are all good.
This was my first taste of mead, and I still like it.

I made some a while back-

5 gallons- It didnt last long at 3 months.

Then I tried some at 10 months. Holy crap!!

I went by my local liquor store when I was home last week and asked one of regular wine guys about the mead. They had Chaucers, which he wasn't to impressed with, and a Polish one that isn't cheap at $26/bottle, but that he really liked. I went home with a bottle of Wild Blossom Meadery (local meadery) Cran-Nectar semi-dry mead. This was first mead I'd ever had. While it wasn't great, I was impressed enough that I think I will try at least one or two batches of mead when I get home.

Actually, should take that back. It wasn't particularly to my taste for drinks (I tend to prefer bright acidic white wines and full tannic reds), but it was definitely enough to interest me. I think I'll be a fan of dry metheglyns and sweet/desert melomels, but we'll see.

I've never found Redstone here.

i drink all my mead cold, but its not too bad lightly chilled either.

heating Chaucer's mead with the mulling spices...was not good....at all.

Good advise, I still haven't tried it yet. I guess with the shipping included, this ended up being an expensive bottle. So I have to find a good reason to drink it! SWMBO birthday is this weekend, and mine is in a month, hmmm she doesn't like dry wines so perhaps I shall wait for my birthday.

Back