Hops Dry time, how long is too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malador

Reaction score
I picked some of my hops and laid them in the kitchen table to dry like I do every year. Normaly they dry over night with the help of a fan. BUt this year we got a surprise rain storm and humidity spiked, it took almost 4 days to dry!

Do you think these hops are a lost cause? Or should i throw them in the boil today?

If you're not using a heat source you can just let them sit for at least a month. A few years back I had a marginal amount (about an ounce of dried Mt. Hood, I think), in a little drying tray I made. They were rigged up to sit such that the exhaust from my dehumidifier was blowing on them and I forgot about them. About a month later, I wanted to dry hop a beer and headed over to the part of the cellar where my hop freezer and the dehumidifier were located. For some reason I happened to look over at them and decided to grab a handful and see what they were like. After a quick rub~n~sniff, in the keg they went. First time I ever dry hopped with Mt. Hood and will do it again (if they ever produce - not a happy variety at the B-Hoppy compound). The aroma was wonderful. I will say though that that part of the cellar is pretty dark and the temp usually never goes above 70 degrees. All in all, I'd say you're good to go!

Double what b-hoppy said. you are fine. I've had a couple of batches that took 8 to 10 days to finally dry (it was raining) without any problems. As long as you get their moisture down less than 20%, you have plenty of time.

Thanks thats awesome to know. I'm glad to know that my chinooks wont go to waste!

Back