Steps for going legal (cidery) in California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research and been getting a little confused about where to start and who to start with as far as going legal and getting a license, label approval, supply and all the rest of that that goes along with going into production...
Can someone give me a good starting place on how I can get the ball rolling?
Is there a website somewhere that will tell you what the first thing to do is, then the second, then the third?

I know I need to contact the California ABC and the federal TTB, But do I just contact them and say "hey, I want to do a cidery"? Or should I contact them about a specific type of licensing first?

First you need to decide on your business model, are you going to only sell for offsite consumption? Are you going to have a tasting room, are you going to sell anything other than cider?

Then you need to find out if they classify cider as beer or wine. More than likely you will need a #23 license.

Biohazard said:
First you need to decide on your business model, are you going to only sell for offsite consumption? Are you going to have a tasting room, are you going to sell anything other than cider?

Then you need to find out if they classify cider as beer or wine. More than likely you will need a #23 license.

They categorize cider as specialty wine... I would like to sell to grocery stores, bars and restaurants primarily. A tasting room would be cool if I can do that. The best bet is to try to sell to restaurants bars and grocery stores...

On the east coast it's a lot easier if you have a farm. Then you can go cheap with a farm-winery

Little off topic but in NY you don't need a farm to be a farm winery,brewery, or distillery. You just need a certain percentage of your ingredients to be grown/ produced in the state. Might be something like that where you live.

Back