Group Buy in Chicago #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do we set the cutoff for this current buy?

• Close it on Monday, October 8, 2012 11:59 PM

• Close it when we reach 164 sacks?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wagz I know we had a split worked out...roasted barley and black malt? Confirmed.

am I involved in any other splits I need to confirm?

Ghoti so far I have two buyers that haven't confirmed their initial hop split with me. One of them hasn't had any activity since the very beginning of the group buy. If I don't hear back from them soon I can sub you in, if still desired? Unless I fill both spots however I'm going to cancel the order.

EDIT:

I take that back, just one buyer Docgineer hasn't confirmed yet.

Just let me know. I will be in.

ghoti said:
Just let me know. I will be in.

I just heard back from a PM I sent Docgineer. He said he is still in for my NS hop split, so I have all splits confirmed and accounted for.

We'll call that done, but respectfully let's see how ylpauls order processes since you queried him first. We can work our deal out up to day of delivery.

Looks like his is all filled up

I wanted to confirm my splits with :

Homebrewfrank for 1/3 sack of TF Rye Malt
Havoc531 for 1# of Hallertau
Havoc531 for 1# of Sazz
Starman for 1# of Magnum

Bmason,
When I log in now to the group buy site I no longer see a message that says "current group buys" or "current group buys you are in" like it has for the past two weeks. So am I in? Or has something changed? I thought I was in for 1 bag Thomas Fawcett MO, one bag light Munich best Malz, one bag Great Western 2-row, and one bag Pilsener.
D I need to do something, or am I in?

Bmason,
When I log in now to the group buy site I no longer see a message that says "current group buys" or "current group buys you are in" like it has for the past two weeks. So am I in? Or has something changed? I thought I was in for 1 bag Thomas Fawcett MO, one bag light Munich best Malz, one bag Great Western 2-row, and one bag Pilsener.

The group buy is closed then, so your order is probably in but you're no longer able to change it. At least that's what I think is happening as I can no longer see my order as well.

To clarify, I no longer see my particular order, which was there up until yesterday, and now I'm panicking wondering what happened?

Am I good to go?

Thanks!

here is a split list update for my orders.....

split list going out:

Forstmeister - MO - half sack (confirmed)

Brewingmeister - C40 - 1/3 sack (confirmed)
Opteek - C40 - 1/3 sack (confirmed)

Scotty77 - Malted Rye - 1/3 sack (confirmed)
Havoc531 - Malted Rye - 1/3 sack

split list coming in:

TheOneBuz - Cara Pils - 1/3 sack (also split with Demon).....Buz, this is my confirmation that im still in with you for the 1/3 of Cara Pils!

homebrewfrank said:
TheOneBuz - Cara Pils - 1/3 sack (also split with Demon).....Buz, this is my confirmation that im still in with you for the 1/3 of Cara Pils!

Sounds good. Once we get final pricing I will PM you.

Ghoti will work on the database so that the buy shows but will not allow orders to be changed now that it has closed.

porterguy said:
Bmason,

I see you listed on the working tally sheet with those items, 4 sacks total

Ok, the site has been fixed. You will now see the group buy under completed group buy if you participated in it. You list of items will be on the page, but you will be unable to modify your order.

Bill,

For the last bulk buy I picked up several people's purchases. Is there something you want from them or me stating that this will be the case again? I don't want you to have to do any more work, but I also don't want you blamed for any issues.

Randar, you're confirmed. If you can get a crap load of sacks again (not necessarily a full pallet) we can wait for you. Talk to your brew club and see if they are interested. I will close this tonight if I don't hear back from you.

Thanks, I just can't herd all those cats in such a short period of time. I was hoping to throw a couple sacks on the order, but I understand (and I've not been very prompt in responding)...

I might be interested in absorbing RC's purchases if they are still being included.

BTW, I already forgot my password to log-in. I figured I would get a confirmation email and when I didn't, it slipped my mind. :(

Shoot me a PM if there's some way to recover it.

ghoti - i was never able to add any 5 gal wood honeycombs, but i see a couple of you guys were able to get the 15 gal...did i miss something? i'd like to add 1 each of the 5 gal combs if i can

i think you entered these in about half way into the buy, but i could never get them to show up on my order...not sure if bill was going to manually enter them for my order, but wanted to make sure i didn't miss out! figure this is the time to try out the combs, and different woods. sorry if this is being handled already!

one of each of these (5 gal):

CHERRY - BS-CHER-5
HICKORY - BS-HICK-5
HARD MAPLE - BS-MAPL-5
SOFT MAPLE - BS-SMAP-5
RED OAK - BS-ROACK-5
WHITE ASH - BS-WASH-5
WHITE OAK - BS-WOAK-5
YELLOW BIRCH - BS-YBIR-T

Bill would have to take care of adding it now, as the group buy is close and it can not be added through the website.

cadwallion said:
Updated. I am just waiting on confirmation from Demon, Kieran, and Jgrove10 and both splits are all set.

Confirmed for Cascade...

Not currently showing anything under Completed or Active group buys right now. Not sure if that's how its supposed to be just pointing it out. I only had two items on the order, some wood chips and some Starsan. Everything else I'm getting is part of a split.

I received a call back from the rep at Country Malt. Hop contracts are NOT available to home brewers. Their rationale is that all of the home brewers would run up orders on hops which are already in tight supply. We can buy hops that are in stock but that's about it. Also, some prices, mainly for hops I was told, have gone up. Once we get the quote we will adjust if we need to.

I opend up the buy until midnight tonight. Please add/update your non grain items as needed.

Here's a dumb question: Any idea on the anticipated delivery date? Is it usually on the weekend or during the week? I am curious since my wife and kids seem to account for 99% of my free time these days...

Here's a dumb question: Any idea on the anticipated delivery date? Is it usually on the weekend or during the week? I am curious since my wife and kids seem to account for 99% of my free time these days...

that is still at least over a week away. it usually takes people a week to send in their payment after we get a quotation. these buys take a little bit of time due to the amount of participants.

bmason1623 said:
I received a call back from the rep at Country Malt. Hop contracts are NOT available to home brewers. Their rationale is that all of the home brewers would run up orders on hops which are already in tight supply. We can buy hops that are in stock but that's about it. Also, some prices, mainly for hops I was told, have gone up. Once we get the quote we will adjust if we need to.

Well it was worth a try anyway...thanks for pursuing this.

for those of us in hop splits (myself included) let's try to have a back up hop in mind in case our first choice is out of stock.

I received a call back from the rep at Country Malt. Hop contracts are NOT available to home brewers. Their rationale is that all of the home brewers would run up orders on hops which are already in tight. We can buy hops that are in stock but that's about it. Also, some prices, mainly for hops I was told, have gone up. Once we get the quote we will adjust if we need to.

Thanks for looking into this. That said I don't see the logic of what they're saying. If we want a 2014 contract for 500 lbs of hops the only thing it potentially hurts is retail prices. MCM makes the same markup they'd make no mater who buys and supply side has ample time to react and plant more acres if they want.

This reeks of the same stench as Briess products. The price increase in hops he's talking about better be incremental ~5% and not gouging.

If MCM won't do it, some other broker will.

Thanks for looking into this. That said I don't see the logic of what they're saying. If we want a 2014 contract for 500 lbs of hops the only thing it potentially hurts is retail prices. MCM makes the same markup they'd make no mater who buys and supply side has ample time to react and plant more acres if they want.

This reeks of the same stench as Briess products. The price increase in hops he's talking about better be incremental ~5% and not gouging.

If MCM won't do it, some other broker will.

I agree. I wonder if hopunion would deal directly with us?

I will investigate a few places for hop contracts next week. Just out of curiosity, how many pounds do you guys think we could order?

bmason1623 said:
I will investigate a few places for hop contracts next week. Just out of curiosity, how many pounds do you guys think we could order?

Well how many did we have for this buy? 55, 66 pounds maybe? Multiply by four or five times a year and I think that would be a conservative estimate.

Well how many did we have for this buy? 55, 66 pounds maybe? Multiply by four or five times a year and I think that would be a conservative estimate.

Off the top of my head I think there are splits for at least 8 plus

2x nelson
1x jade
2x saaz
1x cascade
1x magnum
1x northern brewer

starman said:
Off the top of my head I think there are splits for at least 8 plus

2x nelson
1x jade
2x saaz
1x cascade
1x magnum
1x northern brewer

So then, 88 times 4-5. I know on the last buy I bought 11 pounds of styrian goldings by myself in addition to other splits. I would think that others would probably want to get in on a larger hop buy as well, especially if they were hops that were a variety that is harder for home brewers to find on a regular basis. I think 400-500 pounds in a year could be done easily, seeing as we do that much already.

YIKES!!!!!!!!

As bill recommended I was checking the country malt catalogue for a "back up" hop in case the variety I wanted was sold out and there is was! A large SOLD OUT over the 2012 Nelson Sauvin hops. Well that sucks!!! Back to the drawing board I guess. The organic version is still available but at $24.00/LB. that is a bit rich for my blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back