24hr waiting period on 5# co2 refill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431brew

Reaction score
I have to drive 50 miles to get my tank filled, or drop it off at the local Airgas shop and wait a week for them to take it to the same Airgas headquarters and fill it and bring it back during their once a week run. It is inconvenient, but you have to drive 50 miles around here to see a movie or some hooters, so it is something we are used to.

Last time, I drove the 50 miles, dropped the tank off, did some shopping at Lowes, and then picked up the tank on the way home. I tried that today, and they said that since it was a 5# tank, regulations required that they kept it 24 hours for pressure testing, making sure it had food grade co2 in it, etc. So, now I have to drive 50 miles tomorrow to pick it up.

I could have swapped it for one already filled with food grade co2 "if we have one in stock back there" but I wanted mine back. It's only a couple of years old, still shiny new aluminum, and looks good with my setup if you know what I mean ;)

Have any of you experienced this, or heard of new laws requiring this, or did the people just not want to be helpful today?

I didn't either the last time at the same store. Maybe they are taking names for the state's task force.

I exchange mine. Sure I had a nice shiny new tank when I got it, but I stick it on a shelf in the back of my kegerator anyway so I don't give a crap what it looks like, and the tank they exchange it for is always in good working order.

Unlike propane, which I have had at least two that the valve was completely busted on and so no gas would come out, and one where I used about a quarter of the gas in it and it suddenly decided not to let anymore gas out.

Unlike propane, which I have had at least two that the valve was completely busted on and so no gas would come out, and one where I used about a quarter of the gas in it and it suddenly decided not to let anymore gas out.

The propane tanks were exchanges, too?

Airgas sucks. I won't use them.
Aren't there any other welding suppliers, fire extinguisher sales, indoor grow stores, or paintball stores closer to you?

Your tank was probably at the end of Hydro... sounds routine. :confused:

Did you tell them a grade you wanted? If they mentioned food grade, beverage grade, FCC, something like that requires an initial test of the cylinder contents before refilling unless they evacuate it first. If it was past the hydro test date a big place like Airgas is definitely going to check that kind of thing whereas local welding gas suppliers might not check so closely.

FWIW i just got a shiny new 20# tank, and my airgas said the same 24 hour wait/turnaround time for a fill. I happily said f that and just exchanged it for a filled food-grade tank. the new tank wasn't as shiny, but it wasn't completely disgusting either, and it had a handle unlike the new one i have. just swap it.

The propane tanks were exchanges, too?

Yeah, there's not a lot of places around my area that do propane fills instead of exchanges, so I am stuck with Amerigas (or Blue Rhino, although they have pretty much left the area) tank exchanges pretty much everywhere I go.

On the other hand, there is a welding supply place a couple of blocks from my house, so swapping CO2 is easy and those guys don't sell crappy equipment.

Tanks do need to be tested occasionally. If they do it from free, that's much cheaper than driving 50 miles (unless you drive a T-72)

Your tank was probably at the end of Hydro... sounds routine. :confused:

It's my understanding that Hydro's are done once every 5 years but the tank needs a visual inspection yearly. Another reason why the exchange is nice. They do all that so you don't have to worry about it.

The tank is only a little over a year old. I didn't request or mention food grade last time they filled it or this time. I didn't realize there was noticeable difference and didn't know to mention it. When I dropped it off yesterday, they said that since it was only 5# they were required to fill it with food grade.

When I went back today to pick it up, it had stickers on it labeling it is food grade co2. They didn't do that last time. Maybe I am just dealing with new people or owners this time. At any rate, I will probably just do the exchange next time.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice.

Latest posts

Back