Special B Shortage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I finally decided it was time for me to make a Belgian Dark Strong, and was following the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. However, I've run into a problem... no Special B.

Two LHBS's have told me none for several weeks, and a third told me none... this year.

Anyone know anything more about this? I'll probably use C120° instead... thoughts?

Cara Aroma might be nice. Also, there's something called patagonia that I've heard of that should be a sub.

I doubt it is a widespread thing...a true shortage. It's just a kilning process, there are no special b plants that had a b poor harvest lol. Check northern brewer

I'm brewing Saturday... so I think I'll need a substitute. Not worth a rush order from an online place, I'd think.

Ah missed that part. I've seen Ryan Brews use dark American crystal in a dubbel before (sour plumb one I believe) I tried to find the lovibond for Valley Malt dark crystal to no avail. A combo of c120 and a touch of c150 I think would mimic it. Special B is more sharp caramel and less roast than a straight c150 I believe even though most special b I've seen is roughly 147 love.

Well Special B is a Belgian dark crystal malt around 150L. So another crystal in that range would work. I'd probably go with a darker caramunich.

I'm not trying to undermine anyone above but I think flavor description is more accurate than straight lovibond. Eg try subbing Carahell (roughly 11 love German crystal) for Breiss c10. Completely different malts, both light crystal, but they will give you completely different flavors.

I doubt it is a widespread thing...a true shortage. It's just a kilning process, there are no special b plants that had a b poor harvest lol. Check northern brewer

Yeah... I'm really confused why one place said they'd be out for a year. One place told me they over-baked a batch, and had to dump it. But how that translates to none anywhere around here... I don't know.

I have a pound that I have not used and don't plan on using. If you were local I'd give it to ya. I'm not a fan of the flavor I get from Special B. Oh well i'll save it for a big stout, use it up and that should cover up the flavor I don't like so much.

Yeah... I'm really confused why one place said they'd be out for a year. One place told me they over-baked a batch, and had to dump it. But how that translates to none anywhere around here... I don't know.

I just bought 2lbs of Special B from NB a couple weeks ago. A quick look at their site will tell you if they are out of stock or not. ;)

Back