Low pH, MLF not starting, help!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
Did a complete fermentation of my Pinot Noir down to 0 Brix in 3.5 days. I don't know my pH, but this year was said to be acidic for the Oregon grapes. It definitely tasted tart when I sampled the juice during the crush.

The wine is now in glass carboys waiting for malolatic fermentation to kick off. I added Wyeast MLF culture Monday night after pressing. It has been 3 days and nothing is happening.

Is my pH possibly too low for the MLF bacteria to survive? What should I do next?

Hiyas Larry, I'll chime in on this one too, if that's ok.

Well remember that tartness doesn't equate to low pH. Just this year I'm dealing with two wines that's TA is sky high yet pH is 3.69 and 3.8... lame. A way to tell is the difference is how 'alive' the wine feels as it hits your acid receivers. If you've got some actual perceivable tingle you prolly have low pH.

That being said I've never read anywhere that a low pH would inhibit Oenococcus spread. I'm thinking you're alright, just give it some time and make sure its not too cold. Shoot for 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit.

Good luck mate!

Dumb question.. but super "Tart" to me usually means unripe..... What was your OG on this stuff? Did you have to add a bunch of sugar to hit your initial SG?

The typical solution is to check this stuff before fermentation and add water to the must to hit your target acidity, then add sugar back till you are at your target sg.... but it may be a little late for that now...

Thanks

John

It was nearly ripe in terms of sugar content. My brix was 19.3, I added 1.25 lb of sugar. Had to harvest because it started dumping rain like crazy this week.

Yep -- you certainly want to get them off before all that rain hits and they split.....

Personally, I would just go with the age-old Home Wine Making adage....

Drink no wine before it's time....

Relax and let it age -- It'll be just fine.... It will mellow out a whole lot over the next few months....

Thanks

Back