SE Mass - 60 Gal.: Turbid Mash Lambic Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're spending a week out on the Finger Lakes at the end of July. First real vacation I've had in years. MIL's renting a cabin on the lake for the week, which also means (a more than incidental concern) that we've got an unlimited supply of free babysitting.

Village Tavern in Hammondsport (sp?) has the most un-be-****ing-leivable beer list I've ever seen. Literally eight pages of four-point font. Great food, too.

True that!

Last time we were out there, we did hit up a small new little brewery, Keuka Brewery. Not worth going out of your way to find, at least at the time. Bland, boring, very young-tasting beers, basically out of someone's house. Far less impressive than most of the homebrew I've sampled (it didn't seem he was brewing on much more than a homebrew scale; I saw a regular copper immersion chiller kicking around).

Ya, I wasn't that impressed with them either. Wagner's makes some good brew. The brewery/winery is a bit of a clusterfark with 200 people milling around but that was my only cause for a frown. There is also a new brewery/winery way up at the northern end of the eastern shore of Seneca that my daughter says makes great beer. It;s run by three brothers (I think that 's the name of the operation) and one bother makes really nice iwne, one make pedestrian wine and one makes beer. Three buildings on the location, three different products. The brewery sounded like a Jimmy Buffett concert when we were there, live bands, lots of laughing and a wild party going on. Unfortunately I was with my folks and my daughters so we just stayed at the nicer of the wineries and I listened wistfully to the sounds of the debauchery going on next door.

The guy up the street from Don is called Goat something. He wasn't open on the Monday I was there so i can't speak to his beer.

We didn't fill the barrel.

I topped off the barrel with what we had fermenting in the keg and the barrel isn't topped off. We're at least a couple gallons short.

We didn't fill the barrel.

I topped off the barrel with what we had fermenting in the keg and the barrel isn't topped off. We're at least a couple gallons short.

Whats the gravity at?

Even if someone (CB) just boils up some LME and wheat extract on the stove top with a hop pellet or two it would be better than leaving it with a lot of headspace.

The sample i pulled outta the "top off barrel" was 1014.

My vote is for someone (babalu) to just do another turrrrrbid mash to top off.

Seriously.... Like you dont want to?

In the unlikely event that anyone is actually following this thread because they are concerned vis a vis the beer...

We came up a few gallons short. CB topped the barrel with the 10 or so gallons that we fermented in a SS keg once the primary fermentation was over. It didn't top us up. We are a few gallons short. There has been talk about making a few gallons of a simple pale/wheat mix and adding that but I think that we would be best served by leaving the airspace. That will give us a space for a pellicle to form and then the pellicle can do its thing. Once the pellicle forms it will protect the beer from oxidation. The pellicle serves the dual purpose of showing us when the beer is done. Pellicle on top, beer still working. Pellicle falls, beer done working. When we get Barrel Two and (cross your fingers) Barrel Three up and running we'll be adding beer from one into another all the time, but till then I say we let it go. It's not like we only have 30 gallons in there, the barrel is essentially full. I say we leave it alone.

Discuss. Discuss.

PTN

OK, so unless Colby has strong feelings in favor of filling it up we'll just leave things as they are for now.

And if he does, we'll just slap him around for a bit and do what we want anyways.

PTN

This

1.014 is good
Me likey, CB did you taste it?

cue excuse that I was trying to pack 10lbs of **** in a 5lbs bag (reference to the reedickulouse IIIPA he made)

I did taste it... pretty bland at this point... which you would expect. Not a whole lot to it yet.

... and that IIIPA is gonna be solid. Pliny isn't reeeeediculous...

I did taste it... pretty bland at this point... which you would expect. Not a whole lot to it yet.

... and that IIIPA is gonna be solid. Pliny isn't reeeeediculous...

Bland is good......... ass isnt

Dregs party, we should plan one for this Winter.
New Years would be tits.............. I call guest room :rockin:

I wasn't picking up any ass. Just kind of bland.

Done deal on New Years.

yeeeeeeah... not sure Colby's gonna be posting any pics. He's probably so horrified at a pic that got taken late in the evening that he probably tossed the camera.

Let that be a lesson to him... you NEVER... EVER... EVER... leave a camera unattended after 15 hours of brewing a lambic and drinking all day. Ever

yeeeeeeah... not sure Colby's gonna be posting any pics. He's probably so horrified at a pic that got taken late in the evening that he probably tossed the camera.

Let that be a lesson to him... you NEVER... EVER... EVER... leave a camera unattended after 15 hours of brewing a lambic and drinking all day. Ever

What are you talking about? What did I miss? The only truely horrifying part of the day that I'm aware of was what happened between your toilet and the beef and bean burrito that I had for supper the night before. But that was a private moment, no cameras involved. (Thank God!)

PTN

Hey Bblu

I pulled the plastic top half off my demijohn the other day and was pleased to see that I have renewed and quite vigorous activity with the pelicle. I dropped a piece of oak staving in there a couple of months ago and it kick started the whole thing. (OK, that and the fact that it's summer and my basement is 25 degrees warmer) This is that Bretted Berliner Weisse that you like. So I got all inspired and I'm thinking about how to keep that in the pipeline. I've got the one demijohn (~15 gallons) and would like to find another. I thought about using one of my 20 gallon fermenters but don't know about long term storage in that because of oxygen permeability. Any thought?

PTN

Paul
F-Dub has had a Gueze in a bucket for going on two years now.
Not that I would advocate it but I cant argue with the results.

How about another demijohn or a sanke?
I've got a Flanders and used an oak table leg as an "air-lock" its sexy
I even burned it a little with a propane torch to give it a char

Might have jump started that whole situation. That rye I made last week had to sit for a couple of extra days when primary fermentation finished before I could get to it. Went to transfer it into kegs when I got home Monday morning and there was that telltale white gossamer film on the top. My first reaction was "Damn, Damn, Damn!" but upon further reflection I'm ok with it. I had a smack pack of Ardennes in the fridge so I got that going and left it out on the counter top all day while I slept. I'll add that in the morning. I have an empty Sanke donw cellar so I'll put it in there and brew up 5 gallons of wheat to make up the difference. It will be what it's going to be, only time will tell.

PTN

I gots a barrel full of Imperial Stout in my basement

All my sours are in the bedroom
SERIOUSLY
I have 10 gallons of pellicle laden beer in my bedroom

Waiting on the pellicle to fall on the Flanders Rouge because I just dont want to take the table leg out of the hole to stick a needle in for a sample.

Might hit the one thats in a keg with some CO2 and push out a sample though............ I gotta have it

Back