expiration dates...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
I have a pretty old bag of priming sugar that I got from a guy when I bought some carboys from him off craigslist. Does priming sugar go bad? the bag is in decent condition and was never opened but you can tell from the label he had this for a long time.

Also just got a barley crusher and I want to buy bulk grain. How long will grain last before going bad? What is the best way to store grain? I have a closet in my basement that stays cool and dry. I am hoping to just put the grain in there and that it will last for a long time but I don't know if I should just leave it in the bag and roll it shut or if I need to buy a container.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Dietz! If you do a search for storing grain, you'll find lots of opinions and methods. I take the bag of grain, roll it shut, put it inside another plastic bag and close that, then put the whole thing in a plastic bin with a lid. I currently keep three bulk grains around, and stack the bins on top of each other in my brewery area.

If its kept dry and cool, unmilled grain will keep a long time - I've kept mine up to a year, but think it would stay good longer.

I would boil it with some water (I do this anyway even with new priming sugar) and bottle with that. Unless there are bugs and poop in it, I don't think it's bad.

If the sugar looks good it's good. I store my grain in 6G wine juice pails I get for $1. When I order grain I plan on a 6 month supply, although some of it has gone more than a year now and it still seems good to me.

thanks for all the help guys! I will use the sugar I got and I think I am giong to the pet store to buy some stacking food containers

I found some 8 gal buckets that hold exactly a sack of grain.
Works like a champ, Just labeled them and whenever i want to brew i pull out the buckets i need.
I store them in the basement with the rest of my brewing gear.

Back